West Bay

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Historic Lime Kilns at Froghall, Staffordshire

Froghall

in the county of Staffordshire

St. Just, Cornwall. July 2004

St Just

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we just take 'pretty' pics of England ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:52 on 11th August 2012

Fascinating to read through the views being expressed here.  And mostly I would agree with the opinions regarding the photo content and quality.  

I would also very much encourage everyone to try to put a good description with their photo (even if it means googling for the information)!  I am always disappointed when I see just the name of the town/village and nothing about the subject being portrayed, sometimes it doesn't even say what county it is in! - or how long ago the photo was taken!!

I tend to agree that we really don't need shots of pets unless they are in a landscape or on a beach scene, or animals/birds in zoos (maybe the entrance or particularly fine enclosure where the animals are then in context)!  And although I really love flower shots could we not restrict them to the wild flowers of England/Scotland/Wales, the indigenous flora and fauna rather than the imported ones?

Having said that I would really like to give a heartfelt thank you to all the photographers who do upload their pictures to POE.  Without them I wouldn't have the pleasure of recalling so many wonderful memories, feelings of homesickness or wishes of one day being able to visit a particularly stunning area!  Do please keep up the good work!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:21 on 11th August 2012
To pick up on a point made by Cathy above....whilst the thumbnail is what initially gets the interest of a viewer I agree wholeheartedly with Cathy that a liitle bit more effort to make a bit of commentary on the image would be very worthwhile. The photographer must have been at the scene so will know location and can impart a bit of interest to the viewer even to the point of encouraging them to visit the location. I stumbled across POE simply 'cos I was 'Googling' Ambleside for a bit of inspiration before a visit and I feel sure this is how a lot of people, later to become members, find the site too. So please think a little harder when uploading and give us a bit more info....even a little annecdote or the weather report at the time you pressed the button ......won't be many of  us reporting good weather this yearWink
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 20:26 on 11th August 2012
Points taken. must do better, 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:27 on 11th August 2012

That's almost what most of my teachers used to say to me Peggy..........must try harder......ha ha ha

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:33 on 11th August 2012
And that is what you said to me in I Spy !!!Tongue out
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:36 on 11th August 2012
Oh well, I must have learnt something at school then ! ! ! !
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 20:44 on 11th August 2012
Referring to my post about the excellent pictures from earlier members, look at the pictures from Sue Bristo and the amount of comments she recieved, she certainly is one who did justice to our country, they are sure worth a browse.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:52 on 11th August 2012

Back to the thread topic! :-)

Thanks for the back up re descriptions Dave - once a shot has captured the interest you really do want to know more about the scene i.e. a scene across the South downs with ? (type) of sheep grazing with Beachy head in the  distance (sorry that is just a made up description).  It sort of orientates the viewer.

Or a cottage built of typical mellow Cotswold stone, next to the banks of the River ? in the picturesque village of ?

Or even the reason why you stopped to take that particular shot - this view caught my eye because of .............. (colour or grandeur or the unique architecture ....) you get the idea, I am sure. 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:57 on 11th August 2012

Sorry Peggy, I must have been typing when you added your comment.

Sue's shots are always worth a look, they are stunning captures of England along with Graham Rains, John Godley, Jason & Stephanie, so many wonderful photographers & photographs!

Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 01:57 on 12th August 2012
If web hosting costs are a problem, there could be a limit placed on the number of photos that can be posted by each person per year but who would count the photos to ensure people aren't posting too many photos?