Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we just take 'pretty' pics of England ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:00 on 18th March 2014

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:18th March 2014 17:04
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:05 on 18th March 2014
I will submit a picture of the Atlantic Tower Hotel taken lastr Sunday, which if accepted, will show a building that still provokes adverse comment here in Liverpool.

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:18th March 2014 17:06
Zbigniew Siwik
Zbigniew Siwik
quotePosted at 18:59 on 18th March 2014
Disused station
Zbigniew Siwik
Zbigniew Siwik
quotePosted at 19:02 on 18th March 2014
Image that speaks for itself .( Image ID 1100505)

Edited by: Zbigniew Siwik at:18th March 2014 19:05
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:33 on 18th March 2014

I agree 100%, this is England, so why not show the not so pretty shots

The one above to my mind is an excellent example of the 'not so pretty', but full of interest, as are the ones highlighted by Rod,'tower block, swimming pool and garage with the ancient petrol pumps'. They simply show a part of England that often gets brushed under the carpet

Kep 'em coming I say

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:53 on 18th March 2014
to John, Ruth, James, Rod and Dave: thanks for your comments - I am encouraged that there does appear to be a case for including some of the grittier views of England. It is interesting to look on scenes of dereliction (such as Zbigniew's picture of the disused railway station) and to wonder how these places were in their heyday. There is a certain poignancy in dereliction, where once the location was bustling with activity and is now abandoned. I get the same feeling in a country church which was once filled by hundreds of people and is now deserted. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:18th March 2014 21:54
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:56 on 18th March 2014

The railway line shot is a great picture. I agree with Dave, lots of interest, well taken, not at all a pretty scene but that doesn't matter, it's a picture of England and that's what this site is all about.

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:18 on 18th March 2014
  Certainly we must show Britain as it is and show what is now, once upon a time these sad places were in fact a proud new building or cutting edge industry when first built or constructed. Yes I realise they might not fit the bill as showcase England but they are still a " picture of england". They also say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and these non pretty shots may point out locations that some folk like to see or help others maybe doing research- the list goes on.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:16 on 20th March 2014
On 18th March 2014 22:18, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
  Certainly we must show Britain as it is and show what is now, once upon a time these sad places were in fact a proud new building or cutting edge industry when first built or constructed. Yes I realise they might not fit the bill as showcase England but they are still a " picture of england". They also say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and these non pretty shots may point out locations that some folk like to see or help others maybe doing research- the list goes on.

I agree with all you say, Vince. I regret not taking more photos of old factories etc before they were demolished. I have seen many old buildings come down and new ones rise in their place, and wished I had kept a record of the change. I wouldn't necessarily want to post them all to PoE, but I would keep them in my archive.

In the midst of all the change, there are many enduring buildings in England. I am thinking here of our legacy of fine church buildings,  some over 1000 years old. It is all a question of balance, part of England is remarkably enduring, which is part of the attraction of the place, but change must happen too.   

Zbigniew Siwik
Zbigniew Siwik
quotePosted at 09:37 on 20th March 2014
I owe corrected . Picture of  Folkestone disused railway station not belong to me , was uploaded  by Hilary Hoad . Apologise for inconvenience .