Berkhamsted

in the county of Hertfordshire

Mow Cop at sunset

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

Arbroath

Arbroath

in the county of Angus

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we just take 'pretty' pics of England ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 07:45 on 17th August 2012

Hi Linda-Mary, I'm pleased you found the information about Ogden's to be useful. Maybe there is someone local to there who can tell us if the office building and the clock tower are still standing. Sometimes the old buildings are converted into apartments, thus preserving the heritage.

You are correct about 'Scouse' being soup. The word 'Scouse' comes from 'Lobscouse', which is a sort of thick soup, often favoured by mariners. The name appears with virtually the same pronunciation in other Nothern European languages, for example 'Lapskaus' in German, and 'Lapskous' in Dutch.

Liverpool, as a principal sea-port, would have been exposed to many other nationalites in the formation of the life of the city. Also many Liverpool men would be sailors themselves, no doubt introducing 'Lobscouse' as a dish to be enjoyed by their families on land. I imagine that is how Liverpool people became known as 'Scousers', because of their liking of 'Lobscouse'. 

I have also heard of Liverpool people being referred to as 'Scallys' , maybe a form of 'Scallywag' . Certainly Liverpool is the birth-place of many comedians, and Liverpool people are well-known for their dry wit.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:44 on 17th August 2012

Hi,

I can well recall Ogden's. One of the interesting things about the place for me as a child, was the large Ogden's sign outside which had a pipe that had smoke (or steam) puffing out. I think the place has been demolished, but next time I'm in that neck of the woods I'll take a look.

Not sure about scouse being soup, most here, I suspect would call it stew if not scouse. Blind scouse had no meat.

We Liverpudlians are called Scousers and also we used to be often called Wackers, and a common enough form of greeting was "How ya doing Wack?"  

Most of us have the Liverpool dry humour, which can be a bit of a curse when we attempt to be serious, which for many is quite a hard task. I've worked on the Liverpool Docks and there was humour in everything there. I suspect it helped to offset some of the hard conditions, which included the awful practice of hiring labour by the half day. Men assembled in places called pens and were hired, picked out almost like sheep, a most degrading thing to endure.I picked up many very funny stories in those days and loved my time in places like Gladstone, Carriers, and Coburg Docks,  jam packed with a way of life which has now gone, thankfully for those who rolled up to the pens in often a fruitless desire to be taken on for a half day of work. But, it was fun for me, a young junior clerk innocent as the day was long.   

As for just taking pretty pictures, well I think that places need to be captured "warts and all" as England is a veritable patchwork of many things. All is there to be seen before it is lost through progress or neglect. Sometimes, I wish that some of the images on POE had a little more information added by the photographers to give the viewer some insight into the picture. It would make a lot of the shots far more interesting.      

I'll stop rambling now. I can't help it. I'm a Scouser!   

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:30 on 17th August 2012

Great stuff, Rod. It would be interesting to see if the Ogden's building is still there, and if so, get an up-to-date pic. I live near Reading now, which had the huge Huntley & Palmers Biscuit factory. That disappeared nearly 40 years ago, but the original office buildings have been preserved and converted into apartments. I'm sure something similar could be done with the Ogden's building, if it's not been demolished already.

I can't claim to be a scouser but I knew old Liverpool well, having done time there as a GPO apprentice. Happy memories of stopping at the docker's cafes for breakfast and the delights of Scottie Road !  

As for the industrial heritage, Merseyside still has so much to photograph. I totally agree with you, Rod, we need more of those sort of pics.  

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:59 on 17th August 2012

Interesting stuff there guys

And yes I fully agree more narrative with images would good. I like to think I impart a bit of blurb in most of my submissions. Certain info can be of great value if you are looking to visit somewhere. Which again leads me to probably one of the main reasons people hit upon POE in the first place........I know I did, and have never regretted it since

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:17 on 17th August 2012

It looks like the Ogden's Building may still be standing. It is a Grade II listed Building (English Heritage Building ID 503321)

see link  http://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-503321-ogden-imperial-tobacco-ltd-office-block-

It would be great if you could get a pic of it, Rod 

jc
jc
quotePosted at 21:07 on 17th August 2012

Good Afternoon! Enjoy the elegance of the day!!

Julia

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:58 on 17th August 2012

I have asked many times of many people for the descriptions to be added, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I can only do so much without having to research every picture which is not an option.

I can tell you honestly that I do delete pictures for that very reason, simply because without a description it means nothing.

Interesting comments above members, thanks to all who have contributed thus far. Keep it rolling!

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:30 on 18th August 2012

I totally agree with you, Ron, the original contributor is in the best position to add a description. Even a few words can help bring a picture to life. Some scenes may be so well known that a description is not necessary, but these are rare.

Often I have to do some research to check the accuracy of my own information when adding a description, and I learn a bit more history in the process. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:28 on 18th August 2012
There are a few vids on you tube regarding Ogdens in Liverpool
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:34 on 18th August 2012

to Linda-Mary, Rod and other interested parties, I found the Ogden's Factory is still showing up on Google Earth (Street View). The garden in front of the office building looks well-maintained so the building may still be in use.  Pity theres no trace of the Ogden's sign with the pipe puffing out steam which Rod mentioned. That would have made a great shot.

If you're interested, enter 'Boundary Lane Liverpool' in the Google Earth search box and you will get to it.

P.S. I should have read the information on the British Listed Buildings site more carefully. It says that the Ogden's factory finally closed in March 2007, although it looks like the buildings are still there.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:18th August 2012 19:35