Barrow in Furness

in the county of Cumbria

Strathblane from the Gowk Stane

Strathblane

in the county of Stirlingshire

Garden flowers

Cleveleys

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we just take 'pretty' pics of England ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:41 on 13th August 2012
  I will have to chip in here and say one of Britain's most industrialised areas during the 1700 and 1800s is now classed as one of the most picturesque.   The ruined Engine Houses dotted over Kernow's landscape are both industrial and historic but now have a beauty all of their own ( I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder------ get it out with optrex ) . Seriously though I realise this might not appeal to everyone but I remember when I first joined POE I was strolling through some pics a came across a shot of Peter Evans of a particular engine house which I was so glad to see as it reminded me of a very enjoyable visit. Therefore I say although a shot maybe not to everyone's taste but there will always someone out there that it will appeal to. there are so many facets to this land of ours so do let us show as many as we can variety is the spice of life they say.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
jc
jc
quotePosted at 16:37 on 14th August 2012

Good Day! Love to see the landscape, townhomes of the historic Lancashire (England) in the midst of boundry to the country of England with many of friends shortly! (Arizona)

Julia

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 15:48 on 15th August 2012

Ah yes, Julia, Historic Kernow and Historic Lancashire.

Now I see the connection, both good places for industrial images. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 22:01 on 15th August 2012

I hope this is on the thread subject. My Dad was Lancashire born & bred. He told me that my grandmother had worked at both a cigar factory and a marmalade factory. Are either of those factories in the Lancashire industrial landscape? I wasn't told anything else about where the factories were. But I know she was a young woman in the 1890's and lived in Liverpool. Are there any known photos of industrial structures preserved in or around Liverpool?  I've only seen 'pretty pics' of Liverpool.

Thanks for all the POE member community posting on this often ignored subject. Edward, you really started something! @LOLLaughing 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:16 on 15th August 2012

To Linda-Mary, Liverpool had a Tobacco Factory called Ogden's. This could be where your grandmother worked. My own father worked there between 1945 and 1965, and I know the company had been there for many year even then. There is more information at

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,366098/prev_next,next.html

There is a good photo of the outside of the Ogden's Factory. I can remember going up the steps into the rather grand entrance when I had to take something to my father.

Liverpool has a great industrial heritage and was the main port of England. Unfortunately, it went into decline as a manufacturing base many years ago. I have many memories of the area but not many photos.

There may be some Scouse PoE members who have some shots of the old buildings who can provide more information.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 09:28 on 16th August 2012
Linda Mary- good morning to you -the person who may be able to help you is Rod Burkey who comes from Liverpool who has posted many fine pictures on poe-good luck---and good morning to you too EdwardSmile
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:34 on 16th August 2012
Good Morning James, always good to know there are others around in the morning, checking out the posts. Yes, Rod Burkey is a Liverpool lad - he has got some great pics of scouse-land.  
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:05 on 16th August 2012
Yes Edward my starting time is 6-30am looking through the odd newspapers then a bite to eat at 7-30am followed by an hour on             poe just browsing.Smile
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 01:51 on 17th August 2012

Good evening, gentlemen. It's 5:19 pm here. So happy to see James using the am/pm time form. Here only the military and the internet uses the other time form. 

Edward, I haven't heard the word scouse since I was a kid. I heard my Dad use scouse to my aunts who were visiting from England. Yes, all of them were from scouse-land. I thought it sounded like a soup. But then I was 5 or 6 at the time.

I'll use that link to rootschat. Also go see Rod Burkey's photos. Thank you so much for describing Ogden's Tobacco factory.  Undoubtedly that's where grandmother rolled those cigars. She was a hard worker and had 7 children to raise. Interesting that we have a link through Ogden's. What are the odds on that?  I hope there's a pic of Ogden's somewhere. I doubt there was another tobacco factory in Liverpool.

I sincerely hope England becomes an industrial powerhouse again. I hope I live to see that day. Then we'll have photos of new industrial landscape on POE!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 01:56 on 17th August 2012
Oops. The link is to a pic of Ogden's. Absent minded @LOL. Thank you, Edward.