Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tall Ship in Lowestoft Harbour

Lowestoft

a Seaside Town in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:55 on 19th March 2014

Good thoughts. The quality does seem to have taken a sharp upturn wIth less submissions from non premium members. 

I will try to be more subjective when rating pictures.  

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:19th March 2014 08:56
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:33 on 19th March 2014

I think my approach in future will be to give a 5-star rating only for those images which in my opinion are both technically correct (exposure, sharpness etc) and are also compositionally outstanding. This will probably mean that most of my future ratings will be 4-star.

I do not wish to give lower ratings than 4-star, and prefer simply not to comment on images which in my opinion are not special in some way (unless the photographer invites comments). 

I have in the past made comments regarding some picture descriptions, where I can see they have been clearly wrong e.g. incorrect place names, names of churches etc., but I think in future, the best way in these cases to avoid embarrassment is to send a private e-mail to the photographer. I do not wish to be a 'Smart Ar**',  but accurate picture descriptions are just as important as the image, particularly for visitors to England and for scholars. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 16:00 on 19th March 2014

I tend to agree as well and am trying to be a little bit more flexible in star ratings. I like Dave's idea should it be practical so as to remove any infuence from previous comments. John again brings up the subject of text and I think we all agree that some form of information is as vital as the picture itself- I think I have said before this was a discussion back in Cathyml's time and then it was agreeded that info should be encouraged.

John, some pics do not always pick up a comment but I have found out of the blue a shot may suddenly recieve a comment for the forst time even after a year or so. I think the random picture display at the top is a very good idea keeping old shots to the fore and encouraging comments on what has been missed before. I would say James is a good example for this as I have had comments on really old shots from him in this way I reckon.

Back to comments and like John I too am not the most technically quailified so my comments have to be aimed at the finished result and not so much how it was achieved.

Whatever happens we have all been made to think a deal more and this is good for all of us.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:58 on 19th March 2014
Gotta agree Vince the enforced downtime has been good in making us all think a bit more with some very discussions in the forums, like this one that John started
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:27 on 19th March 2014
I'll second that Dave, there have been some good discussions with a few more people getting involved, can only be good for POE.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:20 on 19th March 2014
It would also be nice to see a few of the "old" members who have not posted for a while surely they must look in.Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:34 on 19th March 2014
That would be nice James, I don't think Cathy visits anymore we're in contact with each other but she's very busy with a couple of photography projects.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:15 on 19th March 2014
It would be nice to see some new faces John, especially if they're going to stay around.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:32 on 19th March 2014
Can't do any harm Smile
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 12:54 on 21st March 2014
Is it better to not comment at all if you see some merit in a picture but think it only rates say two stars? We have five options, but should we use them? 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:21st March 2014 20:43