Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lighthouse

Hayle

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:37 on 22nd March 2014
On 22nd March 2014 16:20, John Lawrence wrote:

If the need for a rating was removed, I think you can adversely criticise along as it is polite and helpful, the last pic I posted "war Memorial" Edward made some helpful suggestions, even though I explained what I had done, I have since had another go and the image and my knowledge is now that much improved. Thanks EdwardSmile

(trust that makes sense)

Don't think we should encourage 'adverse crticism' on POE or we run the risk of reducing the credibility and integrity of the site and it will just become another 'run of the mill' photo site. I think we should just stick with the previously mentioned ideas of suggestions and guidance which most of us have experience from one side of the fence or the other. POE is too good a site to be allowed to degenerate into a critique site where members enter into slanging matches over a photo. Have a look at some of the other photo sites and you will see what I mean. Let's keep this the friendly site it has always been
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:40 on 22nd March 2014
Sorry Dave i cant agree with you there mate whether this chaps pictures are poor or not he should have not posted a sarcastic comment.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:49 on 22nd March 2014
Maybe I didn't express myself properly, more like I sympathise with Stephens frustration, but not necessarily the sarcasm, although it was not particularly biting sarcasm.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:52 on 22nd March 2014

Must agree with you on this one DaveSmilei joined 2010 and have really enjoyed being a member-a lot of nice people on here never any aggro and thats how it should be.

this post was aimed at your response to Johns post.

Edited by: james prescott at:22nd March 2014 22:55
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:10 on 22nd March 2014
Too right James, I have been here since Feb 2011 and been well happy with it. POE must be kept as a friendly site or it will lose all integrity. And based on the various recent posts in this excellent thread I think the option to make comments but not grant a rating should be considered seriously. If a picture is plain and simply poor, just avoid it. Otherwise compliments as usual along with polite, constructive, and helpful suggestions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:30 on 22nd March 2014
I think we are John and the site must never be allowed to deteriorate into a critique site, but I'm sure Chris and Sarah would clamp down on us if that started to happen.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:04 on 23rd March 2014
On 22nd March 2014 21:35, John Lawrence wrote:

>>>There is one comment here that i thought a bit tough but no doubt the bloke has his reasons

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Kent/Ramsgate/pictures/1179020

I assume you were referring to the comment They are all vermin, why take pictures, just shoot them and sell the skins!!

You picture was excellent, John, I think the chap who commented was referring to the subject matter (foxes), not the quality of your image. I confess I loathe grey squirrels, and would prefer to shoot them with a gun rather than a camera, but I would not give a negative comment to a well-taken picture of them.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:25 on 23rd March 2014
I can see this discussion about ratings has gone full circle and is now back to 'give five stars and some anodyne comment'. Personally I think this is a waste of time. Putting images in the public domain means they are fair game for comment, in the same way as messages in the forum are fair game for reply. What is essential, and this applies both to forum postings and picture comments, is that the comments etc are factual and contribute to the discussion, and are not intended as personal insults. Picture comments are of necessity subjective, and I would not be upset by what might seem adverse criticism, unless it is directed at me as a personal insult. So far, PoE has been largely free of malice and spite, and hopefully this will continue, with any comments which are not full of praise being taken in the right spirit.

quote | editPosted at 08:01 on 23rd March 2014

This is a comment I made last year.  I suppose it is rather sarcastic but I had ploughed through so many of his uploads that day that I had had enough.  He has sent 4,820 pictures to the site.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Northamptonshire/Higham_Ferrers/pictures/1168275

Edited by: Ron Brind at:23rd March 2014 09:40
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 20:38 on 23rd March 2014

Well forum members I have plucked up the courage to submit my first picture please treat me kindly I need all the advice I can obtain from all you professionals.

Neil