Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Orangery, Belton House, Belton, Lincolnshire. The Orangery seen from across the lawns.

Belton

in the county of Lincolnshire

Blyth Harbour

Blyth

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:18 on 21st March 2014
On 21st March 2014 12:54, Rod Burkey wrote:
Is it better to not comment at all if you see some merit in a picture but think it only rates say two stars? We have five options, but should be use them? 

Considering how many pics there are on PoE, it is clearly impossible for an individual to comment on them all. My comments are a bit random admittedly, as I meander around the site. It is always difficult to criticise, for fear of upsetting people, but if you genuinely believe a picture might have been improved, the comment might be helpful. After all, it is only a personal opinion, and I accept that by publicly uploading my pics, they are fair game for comments and I take the view that any comment is better than no comment at all - at least I know someone has taken the time to look at my efforts.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:51 on 21st March 2014
Some more very good and valid points coming to the fore. Regarding Rod's line regarding a picture maybe having some merit but in that particular viewers eye only worth 2 stars.... if that's what the viewer thinks then mark it as 2 because the comment laid against the image should also reflect the awarding of 2 stars.  In Edward's response  I can sympathise with the remarks regarding not wanting to offend people as POE is not that sort of site. And as noted many times we do NOT want to turn it into a 'critque' site, which is where more helpful suggestions and guidance, rather than criticism, can come into play, gentle nudges in the right direction similar to the one that I pointed out to Ruth about a different crop to one of her submissions a few months ago which she tried and agreed the result was a much stronger picture, not saying for a moment that the original was poor in any way at all, just that my suggestion helped her. Also I agree that once my pics are up in this very public domain they are open and available for comment and that any constructive comment is preferable to none. And as to John's suggestion of removing the stars altogether, not so sure about that, but maybe give the option simply to pass comment and suggestions but have a 'no rating' option available. I'm also with John in that the vast majority of images commented on are given 5 stars as the norm where it is blatantly obvious that 4 or even 3 would be nearer the truth. There are images on POE which warrant 5 stars without any shadow of a doubt, but they are in a very small minority. There is so much to consider and I thank John again for starting this thread, as it has generated some excellent discussion and we all know that Chris and Sarah pick up on these threads so lets see what transpires.

Edited by: Dave John at:21st March 2014 21:36
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:36 on 21st March 2014
 Interesting premise, the idea of John's to comment without the requirement of a star rating. The more I think about it the more it appeals to me- for me the comments be they cryptic , complimentary , critical or just plain comical are what really counts. As Dave suggests a sidestep is a " no rating" setting which could just be added to the star setting tab. More food for thought.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:46 on 21st March 2014
Yes, having though about it since posting my comments I think that would be a positive 'next step' and hopefully one that would not cause too much programming for Chris and Sarah. As Edward indicates above it is not possible to commemnt on every single image but the fact that it would then be 'non compulsory' to give a rating may invite more comment, of whatever nature, thereby improving the site and helping fellow members with guidance and suggestions, without the 'stigma' of a low rating
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:46 on 22nd March 2014
Spot on there John, helpful friendly advice, not critism, that's the spirit of POE Smile
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:57 on 22nd March 2014
Would it be true that the overall opinion is, to not adversely criticise submissions? I'm okay with this, more so now that the overall quality is radically better than before the short break in accepting new pictures. 
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:10 on 22nd March 2014
I would say you are correct there Rod.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:32 on 22nd March 2014
Yes it makes perfect sense John, another pair of eyes can help you see something you could have done but missed, or you may like to keep your picture the way you like, in the end it's up to the person who's picture it is Smile
Stephen
Stephen
quotePosted at 17:34 on 22nd March 2014

This is a comment I made last year.  I suppose it is rather sarcastic but I had ploughed through so many of his uploads that day that I had had enough.  He has sent 4,820 pictures to the site.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Northamptonshire/Higham_Ferrers/pictures/1168275

Edited by: james prescott at:22nd March 2014 17:37
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:21 on 22nd March 2014

Each to their own John, but I stand with the majority of comments regarding your foxes. I like foxes, whereas my mum, a farmers daughter, has the same outlook as Nigel with his adverse comments. 

I totally agree with Stephen, sarcastic or not, and would say that the vast majority of this guys photos are very poor in quality and content and are the type of pictures that do not get any comments at all let alone ratings