Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Looking down into the harbour.

Charlestown

in the county of Cornwall

Tideswell Church, known as 'Cathedral of the Peak'. The centre piece of the village.

Tideswell

in the county of Derbyshire

Flatford

Flatford

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next >

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:56 on 11th March 2014

Definitely food for thought John, I'm guilty of avoiding commenting on pictures which I think are awful, or have been uploaded without any thought, i.e. wonky horizons which are easily fixed, so why arent they ?

The star system has been put place by POE for a reason, so why not use it ? Dropping a picture a couple of stars without being over critical  may make the person posting think why they haven't been given 5 stars and look at their pictures with a more critical eye prior to posting.

I too welcome constructive criticism/suggestions. I uploaded a picture some weeks ago and Dave suggested it would work better with a crop, he was right, it did, I hadn't seen it but it worked much better. I simply deleted it, did the crop then re submitted.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:41 on 11th March 2014
I am really surprised that even you slipped up Ruth the amount of first class pics you have took --now if it had been one of mine -yesSmile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:56 on 11th March 2014

Many thanks James Smile I think sometimes when you're looking at loads of shots trying to make a decision there are obvious things you just don't see. I try to do as little as possible with my pictures, but sometimes a crop and always a wonky horizon (and I'm good at those) need attention.

Anyone know why when the camera is held straight, and the person holding it is stood straight the horizon goes off on a slope ? It's always puzzled me Undecided 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:24 on 11th March 2014

Well no John, they aren't round these parts, but I can can often mess up the sea Smile

I've seen some shots where the whole picture is on a slant, when it clearly shouldn't be. 

Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:32 on 11th March 2014

A nice surprise this evening to see the site "up & running" again. Let's hope the long term problems have been or will be addressed very soon & more members who haven't donated will do so .. especially if they start up loading images straight away ? All the best to POE & to everyone who has made an effort !

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:38 on 11th March 2014
Ithink we will get there Martin"hope"Smile
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:42 on 11th March 2014
You been on the speckled hen again john boyWink
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:47 on 11th March 2014

I been on the English Channel on a ferry and it does sometimes go uphill Surprised

Hi Martin, it is nice to see some new uploads, fingers crossed all is OK. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:47 on 11th March 2014
Abit too early for that yet---later thoughSmile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:18 on 11th March 2014
On 11th March 2014 18:56, rustyruth wrote:

Many thanks James Smile I think sometimes when you're looking at loads of shots trying to make a decision there are obvious things you just don't see. I try to do as little as possible with my pictures, but sometimes a crop and always a wonky horizon (and I'm good at those) need attention.

Anyone know why when the camera is held straight, and the person holding it is stood straight the horizon goes off on a slope ? It's always puzzled me Undecided 

Probably because they 'stab' the shutter button instead of squeezing it gently. That is the usual reason ..... or they may just need to go to SpecsaversWink
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next >