Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Todmorden

Todmorden

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Ever seen a Ghost ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:33 on 30th July 2008

Wow, Wolf, that would have scared me!  The only paranormal activity I ever remember was in a Victorian house I live in in Pennslyvania.  The late owner's name was Mildred.  But we were always pretty meticulous about turning off lights, and somehow, when we weren't home and even sometimes when we were, the attic light would be turned on.  Of course, we could only see it from outside. One time we were outside and noticed it on and my former husband went in and turned it off.  Later that night it was on again.  We just figured that Mildred was keeping the light on for us.  That was it though, no sounds or stuff moving or anything like that.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 05:38 on 30th July 2008
G'Day Ruth, I find that animals see things that we don't, as well as being good character judges.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:02 on 30th July 2008

Wolf, that is really terrifying!  I don't blame you for not going back in there.  Were you ever scared that "it" might migrate to your house proper, or do you think this specific type of manifestation has more to do with a past occurrence in that particular building?

Many years ago I attended my uncle's funeral in Florida. He was a police officer killed in the line of duty and left behind a young daughter (my cousin).  For the week following his death we would see my five year old cousin, Sandra, "talking" to someone one no one else could see.  When we asked her who she was talking to she said "Daddy". 

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 20:07 on 30th July 2008
Many years ago, when I was but a mere teen with a full head of hair, two of my friends and I went for a walk along the water front near Portchester, Hampshire. There used to be a garage showroom called the 'Blue Star' that had been recently sold and partly demolished. Being curious and mischievous kids we decided to have a look inside the place. Most of the roof had gone, but all the walls were intact, as were the large windows at the front. The only access we could find apart from locked doors was around the back of the building, an old wooden door that originally had 4 or 5 steps up to it. The steps had been taken away, but we managed to shin up the wall to the door....which was closed but unlocked. Being brave and foolish in those days, we entered the building through the doorway and stood on the floor just through the doorway. It was a kind of ledge with a drop down into the showroom about equal to the missing steps outside. We were all amazed at how dark it was inside, especially as it was the middle of a fine summer day. We closed the door behind us as we didn't want anyone to know we were trespassing, then stayed still for a minute or two to adjust our eyes to the dark. The big showroom windows had been painted over, which explained the darkness, and having adjusted ourselves to the light we decided to have a look around. We jumped down onto the floor proper and made our way towards the middle, which was quite a few paces away. Right in the middle was the remains of the office, a smallish structure with a couple of doors and windows. As soon as we got near to it we all sort of looked at each other as if something wasn't quite right. We all heard a sound that I can only describe as heavy breathing and a simultaneous rush of cold air. It was so cold our own breath was showing like on a winters day. I think the word petrified would explain best how we felt at that time and we decided very quickly we should get out of there. We turned to return to the doorway we had entered by only to see what looked like a painted face on the wall directly above it. It was greyish, badly defined, but definitely a face. At this stage we were probably 20 or so yards away from it and thought it was just that, a painting, we'd obviously not noticed it when we came in because it was behind us then. So,very gingerly we started to move toward it and the door, we didn't want to stay in this spooky place one second longer, particularly as the breathing noise was still happening, as was the now almost unbearable cold. As we moved slowly towards the door, the face was staying the same size relative to our position (just about life-size I might add) as if it was a foot in front of us, but still on the wall, which was more than strange! Remembering that we had to scale the wall to get to the door and we were walking toward the scariest thing we had ever seen, we very quickly decided to find another exit at any cost. I've never ran as fast as I did across the showroom to the front of the building, as did my friends, and between us (three seven stone lads) we broke the front door down in 10 seconds flat and ran the 2 miles home, never stopping once. I didn't know what it was then and I still dont, but it was other worldly for certain.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:13 on 30th July 2008

Wow Andy...that is so scary!!!!  I wonder what I would do if that happened to me!!!  Scream, run, faint or all in the same order!!!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:18 on 30th July 2008

I know what would happen to me, and it would require a change of underwear.

That's an amazing story, the kind I like to read about and not experience myself.

Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 20:18 on 30th July 2008
I'm sat at my computer now jumping at every little noise and constantly looking behind me lol
Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 20:19 on 30th July 2008
Pretty scary stuff.  Glad it wasn't me.  Have you ever heard of any stories relating to that building Andy?
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 20:28 on 30th July 2008
No Karen, I do however, remember my relief when it was finally demolished!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:29 on 30th July 2008

Sue!!!  That was funny!