'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Escomb Saxon Church, near Bishop Auckland 15th June 2009

Escomb

in the county of County Durham

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English Counties - SUSSEX (WEST & EAST) - A Whistle Stop Tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:19 on 25th August 2010

And we can have a wander around Rye Harbour and watch the fishing boats coming and going and have a look at a Martello Tower too, nearby; once part of Rye's sea defences.

Rye, East Sussex
Picture by Paul Hilton

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:28 on 25th August 2010

And as we go up to the High St and Conservation Area, we pass through Landgate, one of the remaining parts of Rye's defences from the land side of the town.

Rye
Picture by chris williams

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 16:43 on 25th August 2010
On 24th August 2010 22:28, cathyml wrote:
CASTLE MUSEUM
Rye
Picture by Ian Gedge

MERMAID INN where I am going to spend the night again (I stayed here before, just a word of warning - watch out for odd steps and mind your head!!)
Building in Rye
Picture by adam swaine

As also the notorious Hawkhurst Gang stayed here too from over the border in Kent; ready to duck down the tunnels if the Sheriff and his men turned up while they were enjoying a quiet drink with a pint in one hand and a readied gun in the other.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 17:02 on 25th August 2010
I will have to return (Virtually and in real time) to Arundel Castle. We have visited in the past but will have to return as there is more to see.My wife and daughter have a direct ancestral link to Arundel Castle , they have on their line 1st Earl of Arundel William d'Aubigny who was married to Queen  Adeliza who was the second wife of King Henry Ist. For a start there is a bust of each of them high up in a window area of the Baron's Hall which we were unaware of at the time.
An outside view
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

William built the keep on top of the motte which was already there.
Through a stone portal
Picture by Vince Hawthorn

During the 1st civil war Adeliza received Empress Matilda, her stepdaughter, when she came to England in 1139 to claim the throne. Matilda stayed in the keep during her time at Arundel and although a supporter of King Stephen, William allowed her to do so because of his love for Adeliza (at least that is what my daughter likes to believe).
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:43 on 25th August 2010

Thank you so much Paul, correction noted, and the additional information and pics are very much appreciated.  I love both the sound and look of the Peace & Plenty Pub, must make a point of visiting it!

How fascinating to have all that history attached to the family.  Thanks for the extra information on Arundel Castle.

Peggy you did add Battle into the West Sussex part of the tour.  Please feel free to now add it to the East Sussex tour now, and thank you for participating.  The more people that can add to the thread with more information, the better.

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:19 on 25th August 2010

My great grandfather, Wyomarus de Greenwode, was caterer to Empress Matilda/Maud mentioned above.  During the Civil War that ensued due to Stephen also claiming the throne, she was imprisoned at Devizes, Wiltshire where she escaped; re-captured and sent to Oxford, from where she escaped and fled to France where she had a son who would become Henry II upon Stephen's death.  It is reputed that part of her body was returned to England after her death in France and buried in Reading Abbey where her father, Henry I, had been buried, as he'd built Reading Abbey as his family mausoleum originally.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:25 on 25th August 2010

Paul I suppose I shouldn't ask, but how old are you, if your great grandfather was caterer to Empress Matilda/Maud????? lol

By the way Peggy, I know I shall have no difficulty in finding photos when I get to East Anglia, thanks to you!

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:35 on 25th August 2010
On 25th August 2010 18:25, cathyml wrote:

Paul I suppose I shouldn't ask, but how old are you, if your great grandfather was caterer to Empress Matilda/Maud????? lol

Well, I do go back a few years now and tomorrow I shall try to work out exactly where to in the great scheme of things. But I think grand dad Wyomarus goes back 30x's worth of great granddads. Smile But, from what he decreed, I'm allowed to use his coat of arms.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:25th August 2010 18:37
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:49 on 25th August 2010
Oh wow, describe the coat of arms Paul.  If he was a caterer is there a boar's head of something similar???
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:01 on 25th August 2010

No Cathy, more three St Andrews crosses and a chervon representing the rafters of a house and with furs, and stated as----Sable, a chevron ermines between 3 saltiers argent.