Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hoghton Tower, Lancashire

Hoghton

in the county of Lancashire

Mill on the Yar estuary

Yarmouth

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dare we call them 'Old Wives Tales'...

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:58 on 2nd January 2013
My Nan used to tell me if I swallowed apple pips they would get stuck in my tummy and grow into trees. 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:02 on 2nd January 2013
Another old one is dont pick your nose you will make your eyes bleedSmile
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 20:31 on 2nd January 2013

Lift your feet crossing over railrad tracks for good luck?...we use to do that one.

One of the reasons I serve beef over Chrisrmas..is because the broth was known to keep the body healthiuer over winter and save lives of the weakness of abattling the winter season. In fact I have an pioneer receipe for it.  the Native Americans had their own redition of this also...they lined their tipi's on the outside with buffalo hides that were not completley scraped clean of the gelatin in the hair...then covered them with certain kinds of bark. If they ran out of food before planting season/spring or couldn't find anything to hunt because of an snow storm...they boiled the hide for the beef gelatin to keep them alive and the bark..for coffee. It often sufficed them with corn cakes and roasted nuts for an meal..as they waited out the growing of Springtime vegetation and more of the animals came out of hybernation.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:05 on 2nd January 2013
My grandmother had lots of them - but most of them were common sense when you think about it -  Never put new shoes on the table, don't open an umbrella indoors; she also was like Sue's mum about calendars; my granddad planted his potatoes on Good Friday and always watched what the sun would do and if a cloud passed across it at 11.  If you looked at the full moon through a window you must turn coins over in your pocket!  I will have to think about this some more!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:43 on 2nd January 2013

Find a penny, pick it up, and all day you'll have good luck.

I always pick up a penny and recite this to myself, while thinking of my mum. 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:49 on 2nd January 2013

If I remember rightly you had to do the same if you saw a pin! Sue

Then there was throwing a pinch of spilled salt over your shoulder!

I seem to recall James that the same rule as you mentioned for pork applied also to pheasants and the like and wild game.  It had something to do with flies laying eggs in the carcass as it hung to cure! 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:52 on 3rd January 2013
On 2nd January 2013 21:43, Sue . wrote:

Find a penny, pick it up, and all day you'll have good luck.

I always pick up a penny and recite this to myself, while thinking of my mum. 

Yeah, how many times have I done (and said) the same Sue but somehow the good luck never arrived. I think somebody is having us on, don't you? lol
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:02 on 3rd January 2013
If I see a penny, or any other coin, on the floor I pick it up so that no one else gets it ! ! ! !
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 19:11 on 3rd January 2013

If I see an penny it goes into jars for the grandkids for next Christmas..much of my loose change goes to them also. I just presented them with iindiviual plastic bags for $7 each from my yearly loose change. Summertime I keep it in my purse for garage sales...then transfer it on to them come winter.

I like being flamboyant, so I like the one about the salt...and tossing it over your shoulder for good luck....just don't stand behind me though when doing it...you might ended up feeling "pickled" in the process.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:24 on 3rd January 2013
I do something similar Shirley. I keep all 1p, 2p and 5p coins and put them in a jar and every so often have a share out with the little 'uns. They have fun counting the out, or even more fun just playing with them
 Please login to post to this thread...