Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Pentle Bay, Tresco

Tresco

in the county of Isles of Scilly

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dare we call them 'Old Wives Tales'...

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:41 on 2nd January 2013

We have all heard of them, but just how much attention do you pay to some of those 'tales' or methods? I suppose to some extent it's all about being superstitiuos isn't it? So any that you won't risk, just in case?

One that Anna sticks to rigidly is not washing on 'New Years Day' so anybody heard about that one?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 08:53 on 2nd January 2013
Yes, I have Ron.  My Mum would never do washing on New Year's Day and a a result neither do I !!  But I never knew why.  I have just googled it and come up with "If you wash on New Year's Day you wash a member of the family away".  So obviously a superstition I suppose.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 10:13 on 2nd January 2013
My g/mother always said never buy pork unless there is an  "R" in the monthSmile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:53 on 2nd January 2013

Yeah exactly that Marjorie a superstition maybe, but not one that you would want to risk, consequently nobody in our family washes on New Years Day.

And James I've never heard of that one, so why not? Or was it that your grandmother never purchased Pork from your shop during May, June, July and August because she knew your chiller wasn't upto it? LOL

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 11:00 on 2nd January 2013
Another one my old aunt used was never throw a childs nappy on the fire the baby will get belly--ache Smile
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:08 on 2nd January 2013

Wow, lol haven't heard that one either James but could they afford to do that in those days (you refer to your old Aunt) with terry towelling nappies being used then surely?

Thinking about it, it might have given the neighbours a belly ache taking in the smell lol

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 14:03 on 2nd January 2013
Never cast a clout till May is out,   otherwise don't wear less clothing till May is out
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:39 on 2nd January 2013

My mum taught me not to change the calendars until the first day of the month because it was 'tempting providence'.

Whenever I'm tempted to change them on the 30/31st before going to bed, its as though I can hear my mum's voice and I'm more likely than not to just leave them be.  

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 17:03 on 2nd January 2013
I wished a Scots lady a Happy New Year on the 30th December (because I knew I wouldn't see her at New Year) and she was very frosty about it.  Again "tempting providence".
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:43 on 2nd January 2013
I have never been superstitious (touch wood Wink) I don't walk under ladders simply because it is bl**dy dangerous.