Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Ruins

Exeter

a Historic City in the county of Devon

Marle Place Gardens, Brenchley, Kent - TN12 7HS

Brenchley

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A "warm" Hello from Cape Town

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Graham Atkinson
Graham Atkinson
quotePosted at 19:12 on 26th January 2011

Hi everyone

My name is Graham Atkinson and as a bit of background, I am fifty two years old and I left the UK at the age of three and have been in Africa since then. I was born in London and my father was transferred to Barclays Bank, Botswana, or should I say, Bechuanaland in 1961, and that is where I grew up.

I was schooled in South Africa, went to University in Pietermaritzburg and in fact, worked in South Africa for many years, before going back to Botswana in 1990 to start my own business. I retired last year and came down to Cape Town where most of my family, and my wife's family, now live.

Even though I have been out of the UK for so many years, I remain a loyal and extremely patriotic Englishman, and take great pride in my heritage and my country. I have had many trips back home over the years and I never cease to find new reasons to feel a tremendous pride in being a part of this great country, in spite of the oft bemoaned problems that are reportedly besetting our Island every day. I try to look past these and remind myself of our proud history and the heritage we hand down to our children as proud son's and daughters of England.

I have spent a bit of time looking at the magnificent pictures on the site and it makes me more homesick evey time although, to be honest, I choose to remain in Cape Town where the weather is far kinder to us and it also allows me to play golf 365 days a year, almost!

Thank you for a magnificent visual site, it evokes memories of what I believe is the best asset of the British Isles, its proud history and its incredible beauty.

Now, how about a tour of the numerous sporting venues in England, from the football stadiums, to the cricket grounds, Twickenham, Wentworth, Wimbledon etc. Sport is an everyday part of British life and most especially after we retained the Ashes so convincingly recently!

Once again, thanks for a great web site!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:16 on 26th January 2011
Hi Graham, welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. You are fitting in very well with the POE family already ! Lol
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:21 on 26th January 2011
welcome grahamSmile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:24 on 26th January 2011

Hi Graham and a very warm welcome from Pretoria to POE, lol. 

I've never lost my love for the "motherland" either! 

This is a wonderful site, and besides the great photos, the members of POE are warm, friendly, funny (there is nothing like the English sense of humour) and caring.  So I hope you also will find your way onto the various Forum threads and join in the fun.Smile

SarahPremier Member - Click for more info
Sarah
quotePosted at 19:43 on 26th January 2011
Hi Graham, welcome to POE Smile
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 13:58 on 28th January 2011
Hello Graham!

Welcome to POE. It's great to see you here, and all the way from Cape Town, thats neat.

You'll not get bored looking at all the wonderful pictures on this site, and if you join us here on the forums, we'll promise you won't get bored here either. 

Looking forward to getting to know you.  
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:56 on 28th January 2011
Welcome from me Graham. I still think we have a great country here and we (the custodions), are trying to keep it that way. As long as there are 'true, caring Englishmen/women', around those that try to ruin it will be in the minority (Here today, gone tomorrow'!
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 20:15 on 28th January 2011
Hello Graham, and welcome to the POE family. :-) We look forward to getting to know you better through the forums. In the meantime, continue to enjoy those pics!
Graham Atkinson
Graham Atkinson
quotePosted at 22:38 on 28th January 2011
thanks everyone for the great welcome...... now that the weekend is upon us, I may get some time to say hi on the forums at last. In between band practise etc.......I am a part time rock and blues vocalist for an amateur band in Cape Town so time is divided just a litte bit. I will try to make some quality time over the next few days. Looking forward to it.
Urmimala Singh
Urmimala Singh
quotePosted at 08:12 on 1st February 2011
A warm welcome to POE Graham.