Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Warton Rectory, Lancashire

Warton

in the county of Lancashire

Bournemouth Pier and beach. Dorset

Bournemouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

µ4/3 Micro Four Thirds

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 10:13 on 22nd May 2011

I joined this forum yesterday,  its an excellent site, just wish I had found it long before now !  The site will give me a mass of written information and a vast array of photos, this will make travel planning a whole lot easier and more interesting.

As a keen photographer I am wondering if many members are using the micro 4/3 cameras from Panasonic and Olympus ?  I have the Panasonic G1 and love it, and I am a keen supporter of everything µ4/3.    Mick 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:42 on 22nd May 2011

Straight over my head Mick! As you gather from that statement I know very little about photography, a point and shoot merchant me! LOL

However, we have some very knowledgeable photographers here in the forum and it's only a matter of time before they respond.

Thanks for the kind words about the POE website, I know Chris and Sarah appreciate it.

quote | editPosted at 11:11 on 22nd May 2011
Thanks Ron.  Even the most complex cameras have a fully auto mode so we can all be point and shooters.  Difficult part can be admitting we used auto point and shoot !!!!
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:09 on 22nd May 2011

Hi Mick:  Welcome to POE.  I'm a point and shooter and proud of it!  lol.  I need all the help I can get, but the magic of digital sure makes it easier to practice.  I've not used the micro cameras, but as Ron pointed out, we have many keen and excellent photographers here who will be able to offer advice on any photography question.  Keep coming around, you will grow to love it here as we all do.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:27 on 23rd May 2011

Hi Mick; you know, only yesterday I took my Canon G12 around Wiltshire. Taking a photo of the church at Sherston, I could have asked it-- How do I stop the clouds from burning out?   How do I make them standout more against the blue sky? How can I minimise converging verticals ( US keystoning) ? For all it's sophistication and seemingly endless controls, it wasn't able to answer any of these questions just like your micro 4/3rds cams can't. 

Sherston, Wiltshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

quote | editPosted at 14:03 on 23rd May 2011

Paul, lets take a look !  To make clouds stand out against the blue sky we can in effect do that "in reverse", by making the sky a deeper blue.  A polariser filter could be used.  That said you will not see the effect with the G12's direct vision finder so you will need to use the rear screen, not the easiest of tasks I will admit.

Converging verticals are a real pain. With some DSLR  cameras a tilt / shift (PC) lens is available but there are few about.  Short of gaining height there is only one other answer.  Some people use computer software to fix it, its available but I do not use it, not very good with computers !

Highlight burn out is still, I think, the main problem with digital.  The µ4/3 cameras use a much bigger (physical size) sensor than the G12 which helps with dynamic range but problems still remain.  I am aware that even full frame cameras - 5D- etc are not problem free.

In my original post I was simply asking if other members were using µ4/3.  I was not suggesting that they are problem free or that they will take away all photo concerns !! 

Edited by: Mick Smith at:23rd May 2011 14:06
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:18 on 23rd May 2011
To answer your question Mick, there are users of micro 4/3rd cameras on Poe; I had a look at the G2 Panny as well.  My tongue in cheek answer was more to do with Auto settings and how you possibly might want to do something an auto mode won't know about. I have two full frame cameras--D3 and 1Ds MKII--and had I had either with me, I would have still considered the same problem/s and how to approach what I was after.

quote | editPosted at 15:44 on 23rd May 2011

Paul.  Sorry but a bit lost here.  Auto ?  I did say to Ron that all cameras have an auto mode but I did not mean that I use it all the time as Av or Sv modes are often required.  If I use auto then I will say so, but I suspect that some people would not admit it !   

Just a point of interest.  AP mag tested the G1 against the then current Nikon full frame.  At LOW ISO the G1 recorded more fine detail resolution than the Nikon but at HIGH ISO the Nikon won.  As I only use (99%) low ISO I am very pleased with the G1.  Now it seems that the GH3 with its contrast detect AF is as fast as most phase detect DSLR's.  With my neck problem I cannot manage a heavy camera so the µ4/3 is ideal.  How long can Nikon / Canon avoid µ4/3 production ? 

Please login to post to this thread...