Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Cow and Calf, Ilkley.

Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

Emsworth Harbour

Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A little help needed from our Sue and our other resident bird watchers of the site

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:31 on 9th August 2009
Little bird

I took this picture on holiday in Roch which some of you have kindly commented on. I have searched through my bird books and I think he is a warbler but I cannot be sure. Any ideas?

BTW Sue - yes I did edit the poor lads head off in the Catch of the Day pic - LOL - forgot to ask his permission and it was a clear photo of his face! Lesson learned - bet he would have been really pleased if I had told him because he was so proud!

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:9th August 2009 08:13
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:49 on 9th August 2009

This is a fledgling bird, which (for me) can make it a little harder to identify, Stephanie.

With the distinctive white eye ring, I would call it is a Garden Warbler, but it also seems to have the colouring of a  Wood or Willow Warbler, though the colouring could have been a reflection of the foliage behind.

I will send this along to Andy and Roy, both of whom are good birders and see what they have to say.  

It's a super smashing picture, Stephanie, well caught. 

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 18:50 on 9th August 2009
Thanks Sue. I have been through all my bird books but as you say it is difficult to tell with it being a fledgling and the colours of the foliage. There were lots of these little birds in the garden of the cottage we stayed at on holiday. It was an idyllic place and fabulous for bird watching. Joseph really got into watching the swallows dart right past us.
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 02:49 on 10th August 2009
I just popped in on the thread but i dont know a thing about birds and it amazes me that Sue & You and others on here know so much about them;-)) But Great picture Steph he is so beautiful;-)) Maybe one day i can take the time to learn more about them at least while joining POE i do notice them more ;-)
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:32 on 10th August 2009
I love birds Debbie and we are members of the RSPB which is one of my chosen charities but Sue, Andy and Roy are really knowledgeable about birds and it is great as a member being able to ask their advice. We miss Andy terribly on the forum. 
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:29 on 10th August 2009
try changing it to black and white,high contrast Steph you may get more detail.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:47 on 10th August 2009
I don't know anything about birds, lol, but that is a beautiful shot Steph.
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 06:25 on 11th August 2009

Thanks Michael - think the colour will help them identify him though. I have got some more - might put another one on (from the back!) to help.

Thanks Diana - it was so lovely coming across this tree full of these lovely little creatures!

Please login to post to this thread...