Rye

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

Burley, Hampshire

Burley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of Telscombe

Telscombe

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Foreign Food

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 16:22 on 21st February 2015

What is your favorite Foreign food --myself i am not very keen on it--i dont mind Thai or Mexican but as regards Indian -Bangladeshi-Italian i keep well away from it.

I dont think there is anything better than a really good English Restraunt serving proper English Cuisine --which are few and far between these days--any comments??Smile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:31 on 21st February 2015

Having eaten in a lot of places around the world James, when in doubt we always go for Italian, apart from in France where for some reason they insist on putting a raw egg in the middle of a pizza when it comes out of the oven.

I do like a good steak, but you've got to stick to the UK, US, Australia or New Zealand for those.

I avoid any buffet food since my food poisoning as it's a breeding ground for bugs.

We have a great Indian in the village where we eat quite often, everything is cooked fresh for you.

A lot of Chinese food I find very salty and I'm no lover of rice. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:52 on 21st February 2015

Great to see a new thread started, well done James!

I am eating a Chinese meal right now, but enjoy a decent fillet steak now and again.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:15 on 21st February 2015

John says>>> I know it's a (edited) food

Explain yourself, how is rice dirty? Do you mean Dirty Rice?

Edited by: Ron Brind at:21st February 2015 20:07
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:31 on 21st February 2015

Uncooked rice contains a bacteria called Bacillus cereus, if the rice isn't cooked properly the spores remain and whilst standing at room temperature the spores multiply causing food poisoning. Reheating rice is also a problem if the spores are present. Rice ideally should be eaten straight away and never left to stand at room temperature for even the shortest length of time.

Most cases of food poisoning after eating Chinese food are caused by the rice and not any of the other ingredients. I won't eat rice I can't afford to nearly die again. 

Edited by: rustyruth at:21st February 2015 17:34
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:38 on 21st February 2015

Thanks for responding Ruth. I am aware of the fact that rice has it's problems, but that doesn't make it dirty and quite often the problems associoated with cooked rice can be averted, by microwaving it.

For your information there is a rice often referred to as 'dirty rice' but John has made a statement that I would like him to explain, or maybe edit if he accepts that he could be wrong, so as not to provide wrong information for followers of POE.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:28 on 21st February 2015

Can't beat a nicely done steak and chips

But failing that an Indian curry with rice .... dirty or not !!

Edited by: poe at:24th February 2015 06:04
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 06:17 on 24th February 2015

Please keep it civil and on topic guys. Had to delete a lot of unwanted irrelevant nonsense from this thread.

Chinese is the fave treat in this household James, though we like the occassional Indian too, which the missus cooks to perfection Wink

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:52 on 24th February 2015
My daughter cooks a lot of foreign food and very good too---she was home last week and cooked a fantasic meal cosisting of pork chops with sliced apple plus other spices--very tasty -so wait for it -the wife is attempting it on ThursdayCool
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:16 on 24th February 2015
 If Cornwall was decreed to be outside of England " now and forevermore" by King Athlestan in around AD 927 then a foreign food I am quite partial to is the Cornish Pasty. However there are now strict guidelines to what can be called a Cornish Pasty- it has to be made in Cornwall, be made of locally sourced produce ( not from over the Tamar ) and to a strict recipe AND no never crimped over the top- the "handle" has to be on the side.   ENJOY.
1 2 3 4 Next >