Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Old City Walls Southampton, Hampshire

Southampton

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

I have a question

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:33 on 22nd October 2013

Time and again allot of our comments for our POE pictures are that they are 'chocolate box' pictures. 

I remember from my younger days, those big chocolate boxes with such beautiful scenes of England.

Now I have lived in America for 21 years, I am wondering if they still sell these beautifully adorned chocolate boxes?  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:40 on 23rd October 2013
Thanks John, I appreciate your reply.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:03 on 23rd October 2013
I'll have a look too Sue, although I'm not a chocolate eater the supermarkets are full of them at this time of year, so I'll keep an eye out for a nice box.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:25 on 23rd October 2013
Next time i go into town Sue i will take my camera and have a walk in Thorntons--probably cost meSmile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:37 on 23rd October 2013

I've just had a look on Thorntons web site James, nice enough boxes but none with the British Country scenes that we used to have. None on any of the major department store sites either. 

Sue might appreciate some photos of the chocolates though Smile 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 05:02 on 24th October 2013

I don'  tknow about chocolate boxes so much as sollectible metal cannisters. with pictures on them...I have collected an few of them before. Esp. one for fancy mints that was dated in the late 50's...kind of like I bought one time some plate holder side cigarette ash trays they use to use in banquets...they kind of snapped onto the side of the dinner platte so afterward people could have an smoke or two. Of course, now they are obsolete, not many people used them back then either...and yes, one in my set got broken so can no use them as an collector item. But I use to remensceince of maybe Hollywood actors and actresses in GertaGarbor's Day using one. Of course people now don' tsmoke much...though I understand the new electronic cigarettes are the fad these days...they don' t have ashes for smoke, there is no smoke at all...it'swater vapor. The oldern days were dinners with plates served in "courses"..so they had fancier dishes and novelties back then to accomadate the guests. Now we consider ourselves doing good for an paper plate in an line up buffet, with only ones lap to eat off of many times....and no dinner....just some appetizers. Greatt for the diet and the budget though. Anyone for fricassced snail?...I'm just kidding. I'm sure Ron would rather have an boiled quail egg on toast with Hollandise Sauce... peppercorns...and tiny naked anchovies...with an swig of that stuff you guys drink...ah..."firewater" is that what they call it?.

Andy Dodds
Andy Dodds
quotePosted at 08:36 on 24th October 2013
dont they have them on fudge boxes at the coast
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:40 on 24th October 2013

Shirley says>>>I'm sure Ron would rather have an boiled quail egg on toast with Hollandise Sauce... peppercorns...and tiny naked anchovies...with an swig of that stuff you guys drink...ah..."firewater" is that what they call it?

Spot on Shirley!

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:29 on 24th October 2013
On 24th October 2013 08:36, andy dodds wrote:
dont they have them on fudge boxes at the coast

They do I believe Andy. Another place to look for the country scenes on the boxes would probably be some of the little independent shops in York or the Dales.
Andy Dodds
Andy Dodds
quotePosted at 15:45 on 24th October 2013
a quick google image search led me to this... http://www.gwyneddconfectioners.co.uk/products/22.jpg

Edited by: james prescott at:24th October 2013 16:05