Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Ipswich, Suffolk

Ipswich

in the county of Suffolk

Castle Crag slate.

Borrowdale

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cheap--Booze

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 14:52 on 29th November 2012

Here in Britain we seem to have a problem with a lot of people who cant take their drink,can anyone on this forum come up with an answer and suggest how it can be beaten.

My suggestion would be to limit the number of corner shops which sell a lot of this cheap booze and   then start on the supermarkets --we never had this problem years ago until these licences were handed out willy nilly.   comments please.Smile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:00 on 29th November 2012

I reckon the Grouse has gone to your head mate! Make it dearer, what on earth next? lol

Had 5 minutes dear friends and here I am, hope all are well and  that Sue is progressing.

Simple answer James, put the age up, up up before they can purchase or drink it! 25 years of age as a minimum, that would instantly solve nearly all of Oxford's nightlife problems.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:03 on 29th November 2012

I think it would solve a lot of areas Ron but there aint no chance of that.

how are you mr  you ok??Wink

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 17:42 on 29th November 2012

Find out what it is that they are trying to" escape" that makes them drink in the first place, might be one answer...along with added vitamins.  I might add also ....that e-coli this morning is in the drinking water of the Hood River, Oregon area and an community near by downtown easstide Willamettte River...callled "Oak Grove"...last week they were boiling water near the town of Tualiatin, westside of Portland...because of the same thing...but I think when the farmer's took to the using treated raw sewage for field fertilzer and it don't set long enough...or it rains to much....it leaches into the ground water and eventually causes stuff like e-coli. It would help though if the doctors would let us have back pencillin to combat this kind of stuff..not only in our water...but in the food itself.  Raising the age to obtain liquor I doubt would work....kids already under age have no problem getting any kind of booze they want.  Kid I knew that was an 15 year old "alkie" got it most the time from his own household...after that the people that wanted to make money off him. Washington State just passed putting booze in theri grocery stores. Maybe they think in future days our food will cost us so much and be so diseased with things like e-coli... that we will all need some kind an drinkable antiseptic for eating daily? Besides getting drunk and not having to be very responsible acting...it's always been an exilur for pain and bacterial ailments. One of the main reasons our anscetors drank it was because of poor water quailty.

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 14:26 on 30th November 2012
British youngster are very well know for their ability to be drunk within a second. We (on the continent) don't get it. When we go out, we drink to be social and talk to each other. They (british youngsters) try to get pissed as quickly as possible. What's the fun in that? I never understood. Nobody over here!
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 18:21 on 30th November 2012

All young kids do that Patrick...for one reason it gives them the confidence to what what they would like to do..as in the case of girls...and say how they really feel about things...so later on they can say they were "drunk" and didn't really mean it...plus is an long time "social" trend to be able to have the money to spend if foolishly. Some of them grow up, settle down...some never do...all usually pay the price down the line if they acted out of sync with the rest of everyone else. It can also be an way to relax from life's problems at times when your tired... but are expected not to be. Yes, if you can learn to drink in such an way that your can stop after two drinks your "safe" in my opinion. That's what weight watchers says is "Legal" to keep from gaining weight from all the sugar of the alcohol. So it helps to kind of "show up" socially an bit late...and not stay to long. Just enough to say hello and chat an bit and leave in an good mood. My friend lost her son..when he took his girlfriend he was going to marry...to an "house party"...he had been drinking when they lef, bu tnot drunk...and he got hit by an drunk driver.  he was in his early 20's...he never recovered...we all cried...I repeat...we ALL cried, hunging each other...when I saw him his head was caved in like an deflated basketball...they had drained off to much liquid from it swelling...I was with his mother when we went to see him at the nursing home she had placed him in...an widow...she ran out of money to keep him alive...he was like an "vegetable" and yet I felt he knew who we are and why we were there...to say good bye as they pulled his food from him so he could die. He was an good kid, and an strong handsome kid at that. She told me one time that if she didnt' think "God" had a reason for taking him..she couldn't bare it. His dadhad died in his youth also...he was an race car driver...left her with raising an son and daughter on her own. Working to make ends meet in an mostly "Man's world" at that. Like drugs these days..so goes liquor...an person needs to be aware of what's going on around them at all times. Over- indulgence does not allow for that...it impairs our abilties to think.  All kids growing up have to come to understand that beforehand on thier own...before it's "to late".

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:14 on 30th November 2012
One of the problems is the amount of alcohol that is consumed at home before they go out at night,they are half sozzled before they hit the bars/pubs/clubs.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 05:28 on 1st December 2012

Ah...Jason was hiding his stash with his freinds in the roadside ditch down the street from his house up above a state park...cuase he'd get in trouble if his parents knew he had it. All they had to do was tell his folks they were going to " ride their bikes" in the park. I can not see how they could not understand at 15 years old he was an bonefide alcoholic...though I admit they had an huge groegous home above the Sandy River...they both worked night an day to keep the house and all the acreage along with it. He had one younger brotherthat hung out with the neighbors pretty much also..so he was basically there with hsi own peers...and one down the street that Ithink supplied the local football team with "girls" to party with also.It ended when he also go tinto an car wreck one night...liked to killed himself in the process also. Jason was an child "actor" when he wasyounger down in Calfornia...got what they called "residules" or something on that order every time they aired an old eposide...he had lots of money for an kid his age...and "Californians" are never told "No" as they say...they do as they well please be it good or bad. He was an good kid... and yet was into to much over his head for his age. He'd give you the shirt off his back..and yet he never really understood what life was really all about...it was some kind of magical land where you played an role everyday of who you wanted to be..or do what you wanted to do...no questions asked. I hope someone ran into him that could straighten him out an bit on the booze...cause he needed it. At 15 you don't act like your going on 27years old... like he did. I felt sorry for him most the time. I hope he found the "family" that would be such to him.. and to his betterment in life. As long as he drank he was "popular" but then again he was also highly "used' as well by others. He thought by buying everyonethat he'd be in life's sucessful group...and yet he never really was. I think like most of us..he could count his "true" freinds on less then five fingers.

Bob T
Bob T
quotePosted at 13:23 on 2nd December 2012
Expensive cigarettes don't stop people from smoking. What on Earth makes you think that expensive alcohol is going to stop people from drinking? The problem is that when the pub has been a daily part of life since you can remember, and drinking on a daily basis is the norm, this is the result. There has to be a concerted effort by the parents to set the right example for their growing kids. Unfortunately, the parents are out getting pissed and don't have the time, nor the inclanation, to do their part.
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:29 on 4th December 2012
I think it's an educational problem. Seems to me that you can't reprimand a child anymore or forbid anything. I think if a child can do anything he/she likes, it's definitely will go wrong.