Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Morecambe Bay Sunset, Lancashire.

Morecambe

in the county of Lancashire

The cottage hospital now a museum in Llanberis, North Wales.

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Guess who else is coming back to the UK?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 16:43 on 30th January 2009

Beavers are back in Britain

Beavers are back in BritainFor the first time in 400 years, the beaver has returned to Great Britain.

Four wild beavers arrived at London's Heathrow airport Thursday night, the first step in an effort to reintroduce the mammals - probably hunted to extinction around the reign of King James 1, in the 16th or 17th century - to the British countryside.

The beaver families, which were trapped in Norway after several months of careful observation, will be quarantined for six months before being released in western Scotland.

"This is the latest stage in a truly exciting development for wildlife watchers, not just in Scotland but around the world" said Michael Russell, Britain's minister for environment. "I am sure the beavers are awaiting their release from quarantine...as keenly as I am."

Conservationists and wildlife advocates hope the reintroduction of the beaver will spark a further restoration of natural habitats in the British isles.

"Beavers hold the potential to create new wetland habitats which in turn increases the appeal to other native species," said Simon Jones of the Socttish Beaver Trial, which is overseeing the project. "We are excited to get the trial under way and see what benefits beavers can bring to Scotland."

www.cnn.com

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 18:30 on 30th January 2009
Wow! I didn't realize Barbara.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:41 on 30th January 2009

Super! 

I'm sure some people will complain about the beaver dams, the damaged trees and of course some will be killed for the fun and novelty of it.

We have beavers here in Nevada, they are huge and very fascinating to watch. 

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 19:29 on 30th January 2009

Amazing that they've been gone from Britain for 400 years!  I think they're ever so clever creatures, and fun to watch.

Please login to post to this thread...