Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Tenter Hill, Slaidburn, Forest of Bowland, Lancashire

Slaidburn

in the county of Lancashire

Colchester

Colchester

a Historic City in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Return of The Lakeland Meanderer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:08 on 3rd September 2011

I fear that this weeks Meandering could curtailed somewhat and have a lot to do with indoor attractions.....seems we have the same weatherman as a couple of months ago.....keeps telling me Low Pressure is in control. That's not very good news for taking pretty pictures......may get a few dramatic stormy ones but we'll have to wait and see what happens. The day started well in nice sunshine and reasonable temperature. Roads were great, think we did about 150 miles with only a couple of gear changes.....not bad in my book. Unfortunately ran into drizzly conditions from Manchester upto Kendal but nothing drastic. Came out of ASDA to find it a bit!!! heavier, but hey!! we're on holiday and the one thing you cannot control is the weather so let's just get on with it. Usual diversion into Bowness followed for a beer and a bite to eat. Pub overlooking the lake serving Carvery's at £3.95!!!! exceptional value I thought, especially as we got a little bit damp getting there. Our original venue for sustenance having no tables available, probably something to with the rain ??? bet the manager there was a very happy man. 30 odd tables full and the majority ordering food..... Despite the weather our adopted home of Ambleside seemed quite busy, lot of traffic and very few guest houses showing 'No Vacancies'

Supposed to be a reasonable day tomorrow so we are hoping to get to the Loweswater Show, a relatively small show but should be good fun. A few tentative plans for walks in mind, but see what meets us when we open the curtains each morning..... Evenings will not be a problem plenty of pubs and eating establishments to keep us entertained.

Well that has set the scene, I only hope we can find enough to see and do to keep you all entertained.     I'll be back. . .

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 22:01 on 3rd September 2011
Hope the weather is better tomorrow Dave.  Is Loweswater a steam & vintage car show, not sure if you went before and had some photos ?
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:05 on 3rd September 2011
No Mick, it's agricultural based but the smaller ones like usually have such entertaing events as terrier racing, ferret racing and even fly casting, not to mention hundreds of sheep, cows, pigs, horses and all sorts of farm based things
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:06 on 3rd September 2011
Glad you have arrived safe Dave, Planet Rock road report ealier today said area on M6 near Manchester nearly at a standstill due to an excess of weather, I thought the man of the lakes could be in that, but from the above episode it looks like you were through and clear before it hit .  Have a good week!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 22:10 on 3rd September 2011
Have a wonderful holiday Dave!
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 00:26 on 4th September 2011
Hope the weather man is completely wrong and it turns out sunny skies and gentle breezes for you! Have a lovely time!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:49 on 4th September 2011
Lovely start to the day, mist over the mountains, beuatiful from yje bedroom window, burning off now so all systems go for a trip to the Loweswater show. So hopefully might get a photo or two. Batteries fully charged and plenty of SD cards to hand. Missed thre traffic probs Vince as we were away nice and early, also just missd an accident near Lancaster which closed the M6 for a while. Definitely pass to be an early bird. Thanks to all for your hopes for us, just hope i can get some pics to repay your support. Talking of which, did you find a suitable wall Vince???. Next tranmission of the usual inane babbling later on tjis evening all being well.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:05 on 4th September 2011
  Dave , you have me perplexed me sir. I did not think I was looking for a  wall !  Oh did you mean a wall for head banging whilst I had Planet Rock on my Hi-Fi at work?  I need a Hi-Fi at work to be able to hear over the noise of the equipment.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:13 on 4th September 2011
when you are doing the curtains vince you must pull yourself to-gether.Wink
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 21:19 on 4th September 2011

LOL @ James!

Hope the weather cooperates, Dave.  Looking forward to more of your lovely pix and the travelogue as well.