Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The garden on the way to the pottery.

Hugh Town

in the county of Isles of Scilly

Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire

Hoddesdon

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Norfolk visits, Duke of Norfolk that is..

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

PirateDuchess
PirateDuchess
quotePosted at 00:09 on 9th November 2007

I've been getting very fascinated with Thomas Howard fourth Duke of Norfolk, and his family.

This year i had the pleasure of visiting some places connected to Norfolk and it was wonderful but also quite emotional.

The places i visited were the 1) Arundel Castle, seat of the Dukes of Norfolk when i saw the highly magnificent portrets of Thomas Howard 4th duke of Norfolk and his young wife Mary Fitzalan.

2) Tower of London, where i visited the Tower Hill memories (his name and the name of his father Henry Howard are on a plague there) and saw among others the place he is buried and the inscription by his son Philip Howard in the cell he died in.

3)The London Charterhouse, formerly Howard house which was the prime London mansion of Thomas Howard before his execution which i one day hope to visit and see the inside where there's wonderful reminders of Thomas Howard's ownership of the house which was formerly a cartusian priory.

4)Framlingham castle and church which is where the tombs are of Thomas Howard's wives Mary Fitzalan and Margaret Audley, Henry Howard the poet earl, Henry Fitzroy illigitimate son of Henry VIII and husband of the daughter of the third duke of Norfolk and finally the highly magnificent tomb of Thomas Howard third duke of Norfolk.

It was great to see places so closely connected to them and at times emotional such as the fourth duke's grave and his son's inscribtion.

It was the most special vacation i ever had and though i saw wonderful places the days after such as Stratford Upon Avon, the Globe Theater and Windsor Castle,  nothing beat my " Norfolk visits".

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 23:00 on 18th October 2011
Thank you Pirate Duchess for this wonderfully informative post.  I don't know if I'm able to visit all the places as I am disabled.  But I can at least look at Arundel and remember the brave Dukes and Duchesses of Norfolk.  Lent 2011 I was privileged to see on television a priest give us a Lenten reflection broadcast from the Duke of Norfolk's simple but lovely private chapel at Arundel.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...