Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Athelhampton House, Dorset

Athelhampton

in the county of Dorset

the norman carved arch at kilpeck church herefordshire

Kilpeck

in the county of Herefordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Sell Your Photos! On poe's new sister site!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
Posted at 03:34 on 29th March 2011
Hi Bill, nice to see you back here again; yes my list does restrict those things that are on it, but there's a reason that they are on it in one way or another. But, there's lots of other things to choose from as well.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 17:14 on 29th March 2011
Paul,  do you have any info on pics taken where a fee for taking them has been charged?
Paul Hilton
Posted at 11:04 on 30th March 2011

Trying to understand your question Sally---as though you've gone some place and they've said it'll cost you  £ xxx  to take photographs?  I've never been to a place like this but the key thing to start is it must therefore be on private property; therefore I would enquire about the photos then being offered for sale.  

Bill asked about taking a photo of a cottage?  If it were a specific cottage and not just a general street scene, I would get a Property Release signed to be on the safe side. It also depends what any photos are going to be used for.

Abbey House Gardens in Malmesbury----they claim the copyright to any photos taken on their property. I'm not convinced they could go that far to claim ownership of any photos you took as those photos are yours, but they can restrict what you do with them i.e. in their case, photos of their flowers/ gardens turning up in magazines, books, or anything else, without their permission.   

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 11:39 on 30th March 2011
Thanks Paul, I have had to pay to be allowed to take pictures in several cathedrals and similar types of buildings usually about £10 and am also aware of the problems surrounding National Trust properties, but personally I have given up with the N.T. on the whole I dont like the attitude of their staff
Paul Hilton
Posted at 14:36 on 30th March 2011

In just checked Winchester Cathedral I've often visited and photographed inside and in their grounds and outside of their grounds too. They now charge an admission fee; personal photograghy outside of service times is no problem; but for commercial photography and filming it is different

http://winchester-cathedral.org.uk/about-us/filming-and-photography/

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 16:00 on 30th March 2011

As I read this, even having paid the admission fee we would not be able to upload and offerfor salel on our sister site without written permission which obviously would only be given at a cost. Kinda rules out most historical buildings and places of interest where an admission charge is made or am I being too pesimistic? Add to all this by excluding all places which have even a tenuous link with national security etc the whole think become a minefield. Oh dear, I always describe myself as seeing my glass as half full, but I think I'd better go and get a glass full to cheer myself up.

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 18:46 on 31st March 2011

I've spent quite a while surfing the net for info on restrictions when offering photos for sale and there is certainly a lot of information out there. The result of this is that I would encourage anyone setting out to offer their images for sale to check that their images cannot land them in a legal wrangle. What do other members think?

Bill Swan
Bill Swan
Posted at 21:17 on 31st March 2011
This was my point Sally, I am glad you feel the same. I still think you might take a shot and think you are OK and then Mr Plod comes along and slaps the cuffs on........joking. I think people need to look into it a bit more before they put pictures up for sale just to make sure they're legal
Paul Hilton
Posted at 00:43 on 1st April 2011

I think Sally might have in mind is photos that might well be ok to take, but could have possible publication problems.  

Looking at your avatar, for example-----go to the IAT  air tattoo at RAF Fairford; lots of great plane photos to take at the airshow and none of them will be saleable. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:1st April 2011 00:47
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
Posted at 09:13 on 1st April 2011

Paul you are absolutely right.

Some of the restrictions are obvious when you think about them and some seem ridiculous but they are there and we would all be wise to acknowledge them. At first I found the whole question quite confusing but after thinking about it for a day or two I realise that I still have plenty of suitable pictures which I could, and will, offer for sale

My concern is that there must be many POE members who are keen to offer support to our sister site but have never previously offered their pictures for sale and could upload pictures which have the potential to land them in hot water.