'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

City Markets, Vicar Lane

Leeds

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Image information

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:48 on 16th July 2012

Well this suggestion seems to have been actioned pretty quickly. Both focal length and aperture showing.......is it a good idea or not....you tell me!!!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:59 on 16th July 2012

I think this is useful info, the inclusion of ISO setting is certainly helpful for those users who are progressing from 'Full Auto' to 'M' or 'AV' and need to manually select the appropriate ISO setting for their shots. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:17 on 16th July 2012
Yes, gotta agree with you there Edward will be of interest to seasoned 'non auto' usres and hopefully instil a bit of confidence in those who only use auto or programme to try other settings and realise what they can achieve on the more creative front. Be interesting to get a few more thoughts
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:23 on 16th July 2012

It has been interesting to go through quite a few photos. As for my own while my Canon D-slr's show the aperture used( as well as an assortment of compact/bridge cameras ) Five Nikon D-slr's from 1999 to near present, all show the maximum aperture of the lens being used instead. 

The addition of ISO speeds is interesting to see what other people are setting on their cameras. For myself, it's also depentdent on the camera being used as well as the lighting conditions. Most of the time my cameras are set to AV/aperture priority, 1/3rd stop under exposure. as a starting point. ISO setting depends on the camera and/or lens being used, as well as the lighting conditions.

As for flash indoors--- camera on manual ISO 800. 1/60th at F4 is my starting point.  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:16th July 2012 22:55
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 09:42 on 17th July 2012

Hi guys

The code base used to handle the exif data is old and support for it stopped quite a few years ago. We are therefore going to switch to a new uptodate system for reading the data which will allow us to show more options, such as lens type used etc.

While we try and sort this out and get it working (not an overnight job) please could you list what data you'd like to see, e.g Max Aperture value, Exposure time, ISO speed etc etc.

Many thanks as this will be a big help!

Chris & Sar

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:57 on 17th July 2012
My original thoughts were basically just the lens ie 10-20mm, 18-55mm 70-300mm but certainly actual focal length, aperture used, shutter speed and ISO can be useful. Don't think widest aperture of lens is too relevant but others may think differently. The question is how deep do you delve into the EXIF?. The last thing on my mind was turning what is a truly amazing, freindly and enjoyable site into something that resembles some of the other photo based sites where people seem to be more interested in the equipment used to take the image rather than the image content. I just thought that very basic lens info would be of interest and helpful.
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 10:22 on 17th July 2012

Hi Dave

I don't think having the extra camera/image data available will detract from the enjoyment people get from the images on show. Could be wrong of course but It'll just be there for those who are interested, and those who aren't will simply ignore it.

We'll perhaps present it in a format where we show the main info followed by a link/hover for those who want to know more.

Anyway cheers for your input, it's appreciated.

Chris & Sar

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:41 on 17th July 2012

Funnily enough just as I'd pressed the button I was thinking along these same lines. Maybe show the lens configuration...10-20, 18-55 as my original idea but certainly a link / hover 'EXIF' might be preferable. A lot will not be interested in the EXIF and probably an equal number don't even know what it is ! ! !

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:01 on 17th July 2012

The point I was making was on Nikon D-slr's of all mine and those of others I've looked at, it's currently reading the wrong line on the Exif thus not showing the aperture used on a particualr image; an oddity that's occured on this brand.

I think the basic info is quite adequate as suggested above. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:17th July 2012 12:18
 Please login to post to this thread...