Preston

in the county of Lancashire

Me driving a D stock train.

Ealing

in the county of Greater London

Reaching for the Sky

Morecambe

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Tourist Photo Requests

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andy Dodds
Andy Dodds
quotePosted at 07:38 on 29th October 2013
i had a couple ask me to take a picture of them near the tyne bridges on their phone they were geordies but it was their wedding anniversary(i instantly thought why do you need an excuse to have your photo taken beside them Smile) also an old couple at monsal dale in derbyshire asked me luckily i used the same camera at the time as they didnt know how to work the settings
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 21:51 on 29th October 2013
I take your point Edward, and yes some common sense is required when asking to take pictures with one's own camera. It's similar in many ways to knowing when, and when not to take candid / street scenes. Gut instinct normally works plus a pinch of caution.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:30 on 30th October 2013
On 29th October 2013 21:51, Rod Burkey wrote:
It's similar in many ways to knowing when, and when not to take candid / street scenes. Gut instinct normally works plus a pinch of caution.

I feel that the paranoia which surrounds street photography in the UK these days is very inhibiting. Even if one's subject is agreeable, there are always 'jobsworths' hovering around such as PCSOs, Security Guards, and the ever-present CCTV surveillance, which might result in one being questioned. In fact many shopping areas (if privately owned) now explicitly forbid photography. There seems to be an automatic suspicion of the motives of anyone photographing in the street  - the assumption seems to be that the photographer is either a paedophile or a terrorist, or possibly both. I admire the works of Cartier-Bresson and others of a similar generation, but I suspect even they would find the current paranoia difficult to cope with. Sadly, this is why I now restrict my outdoor snapping mainly to landscapes and buildings, with the occasional street view when I feel it is not intrusive.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:40 on 30th October 2013

More good points Edward. In May I found myself in a city centre shopping precinct. I was struck by the glass roof and pointed my camera upwards, well above anyone and was soon challenged by a security guard, who told me that it was strictly forbidden to take pictures there. I offered to delete the offending pictures but he said just not to take anymore. I got the distinct impression that the guard felt a little embarrassed at having to challenge me and was very pleasant and so I just put my camera away and left. Now, this might seem petty on my part, but do not feel inclined to enter the place other than to use it as a short cut.  

I still enjoy street photography, and intend to carry on, but maybe not in undercover shopping areas! We are supposed to be living in enlightened times, but Cartier-Bresson, Diane Arbus, and Martin Parr et al had far more freedom in past decades. Once it was fine to take pictures in, for example fun fairs, capturing great candid shots including innocent ones of children. I would not dare so to do now. I’m a grumpy old man, but fear that political correctness is taking away more than it gives back in so many different areas, including the street and places of work. Seems to me that much of the fun is leaving us and turning us all into screen peering “wired for sound” introverts. Overstating? Well maybe, but I hope you who read this get my drift.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:05 on 30th October 2013

Yes, I can relate to all you say, Rod. The problem is that shopping centres, and even the surrounding areas of some buildings are on privately owned land. As such, the owners or their agents are within their rights to ban photography, although this often seems oppressive. As for public land, I think it is still legally permissible to take pictures freely, but the feeling of paranoia persists.

The innocent pictures of yesteryear showing street children at play could not be taken today without there being a swift follow-up visit from the Police. I read a story somewhere about an amateur photographer being arrested in Trafalgar Square. He was taking pictures of the fountains, but the Officer noticed that there were children playing in the water, therefore he must be a paedophile !  

Ho-Hum, isn't life grand ?

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:07 on 1st November 2013
Yesterday, I bought the November issue of "Black + White Photography", and found within a delightful set of street images shot by the photographer Robin Sinha, all taken in New York this year with candid shots and pictures depicting people of all ages going about their lives. So, it still is possible to achieve with a little care. Maybe the people of New York have more tolerance than we do, but maybe not. Thought is was relevant in this thread and might be of interest.  
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:23 on 1st November 2013
Perhaps in America there is still some freedom of sorts. I fear that in the UK we have slowly sunk into a conditioned state of mind. I believe the UK has the highest number of CCTV cameras per head of population than almost anywhere else in the world. Similarly there are ANPRS (Automatic number plate recognition system) cameras everywhere. Big Brother is certainly watching us. The argument in favour of surveillance, of course, is that if you are behaving yourself, you have nothing to fear. We do not have the horrors of the Lubyanka these days, more a sort of sedated compliance. See this Telegraph article about attitudes to CCTV. The comments are more interesting than the actual article.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:1st November 2013 07:06
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 08:31 on 1st November 2013
Yes, Edward, it is all rather depressing. Seems we are losing our freedom, and can be reported if we even say the wrong thing, all in the name of Political Corectness. The more I think about the more sinister it becomes. 
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:18 on 1st November 2013
On 1st November 2013 08:31, Rod Burkey wrote:
The more I think about the more sinister it becomes. 

Probably best not to think too much, Rod. The words of A.A. Milne come to mind....sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:09 on 1st November 2013
Well said. 
 Please login to post to this thread...