Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Beeston Castle in Tarporley, Cheshire.

Tarporley

in the county of Cheshire

Early Morning.

Ellesmere

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Music

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:20 on 14th October 2013
Everyone has their own favorite music whether it be Pop,Jazz,and so on --all this cheap stuff that is around to-day can not be described as Music-i like most kinds but i happened to listen to a family named Carter who were the forebears of Country Music last week and really enjoyed it --has anyone on site listened to this talented family-in fact one of the daughters married C/W singer Johnny Cash.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:33 on 14th October 2013
John  you can google the Carter family and see how talented they were it is a very goog topic--maybe our American members can add to it.??Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:41 on 14th October 2013

I must admit to being a big music fan, but I'd never heard of the Carter family, and I had no idea they went way back to 1927. I've just had a quick poke around iTunes and there are a few of their albums on there for download + you can have a listen first.

I was brought up with music my Dad was one of the top cornet and trumpet players in the North of England, he played with all the top brass bands, Black Dyke, Manchester CRS, Brighouse & Rastrick. Sadly I didn't inherit his talent, but it never stopped me enjoying music.

As you know already I'm a massive Springsteen fan, Neil Young is another favourite. Like John I can switch from Rock to Classical. Can't be doing with all this stuff from these talent shows, every voice sounds the same to me, with a few exceptions.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:02 on 14th October 2013

There are 11 albums by the Carter Family on iTunes James, several of them are £4.99.

The penny has dropped now, I have a track of theirs on my iPod, Keep on the Sunny Side is on the soundtrack album to the film Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, which we also have on DVD.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:06 on 14th October 2013
Hi Ruth-you have just mentioned two bands  Black Dyke and Rastrick  i have seen them a few times and have the music of Phillip Mc-cann who was lead cornet with Black Dyke -now they are worth listening to.Smile
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:37 on 14th October 2013

I've never seen them James, my Dad did most of his playing with them before I was born. I have heard them though, many many times, we had a lot of Brass Band records in our house. You can imagine my Dads horror when I became a fan of Rock.

My favourite brass band piece is the one they call "Orange Juice" in the film Brassed Off - I can never remember its proper name though Undecided

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:39 on 14th October 2013
Thank you Google - Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:43 on 14th October 2013
I gotta go with The Rolling Stones. Prefer rock and the blues. Janis Joplin probably the best 'white' blues singer ever. Springteen of course good solid rock. Also like bit of Dylan. Also happy to listen the likes of Glenn Miller and teh 'big band' sound, so quite a varied taste really.Have to agree with a good brass band and we have plenty of them 'up north'. Nothing much i care for in the modern era.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:13 on 14th October 2013
All of a certain age maybe John!!!
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 23:13 on 14th October 2013
Think you might have hit the nail on the head there Dave.