Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Halter Devil Chapel, Mugginton, Derbyshire

Mugginton

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE ENGLISH FOODS?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 10:38 on 22nd March 2009
On 17th March 2009 03:37, DEBBIE ADAMS wrote:

OK, Odd question but i would like to know what everyone's best and worst foods are in England. Just would like some ideas as to what to try and maybe what to stay away from.. Thanks

hi debbie. Basic british food is usualy a simple 'starter' consisting of soup or perhaps a prawn cocktail salad. The second course traditionaly a meat and two veg served, ie roast Lamb, beef or pork. The veg would be potatoes, (boiled, mashed or chipped) and the veg possibly peas, cabbage etc.  This followed by a 'pudding' or ice cream. The 'pudding' could be any kind of 'dessert' or cheese and biscuits, washed down with a 'glass' of wine, beer or lagar and possibly coffee and mints. you can get all this for less than £10 per head in many gastro pubs but some public houses (Bars) in lancashire where I live offer a carvery service, this means you buy a ticket at the bar then find a table in the resturant area go to the 'carvery' (serving area) a chef will carve you the roasted meat from the bone (standing in front of you so that you can see exactly what you want and get ), this could be beef, lamb and pork, (all three together if wish), its all included in the same price. you then proceed along the servery, self helping your self to the assorted veg and sauces. Believe me or not  this only costs £3.95 a serving in a clean, comfortable, modern (or olde worlde) pub. Thats a staggering two meals for less than a 'tenner' (£10) You will probly pay more than that in the south of england though.

we usualy start the day with a 'full English' breakfast, (Fried eggs, bacon, toast etc and a good cup of tea (or coffee) . at about 11am,we break for another cup of tea and perhaps a 'buttered scone', maybe with fresh jam and cream (not to be missed). Lunch is usualy from about 1230 to 2pm although many prefare a 'light' lunch consisting of a 'sandwich' of two slices of fresh bread with a 'filling' between. Another 'tea break' in the late afternoon (3.30 pm). 'Dinner' (or some still call it Tea-time) could be taken from 6pm onwards. eating out or having a light meal such as the occasional Fish (fried Haddock or Cod) and Chips (Fries) nice served with 'mushy' peas, fresh bread and butter and a good cup of tea.  We call 'Fries' Chips and your 'chips' over here are called 'crisp' so if you ask for a bag chips you will get 'fries'. If you ask for a bag of crisp you will get a bag of flavoured fried potatoe slices.

ALL food is available anywhere and everywhere in the UK  and is fresh or frozen, fresh is best. If you are unsure ask anyone and they'll be more than happy to advise you. try to eat what the locals do but because we have regulated, controlled, high food standards in the uk you shouldnt have any problems.

Enjoy your stay (lie back and think of England. lol)

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 17:14 on 22nd March 2009
On 22nd March 2009 10:38, unknown wrote:

ALL food is available anywhere and everywhere in the UK  and is fresh or frozen, fresh is best. If you are unsure ask anyone and they'll be more than happy to advise you. try to eat what the locals do but because we have regulated, controlled, high food standards in the uk you shouldnt have any problems.

Enjoy your stay (lie back and think of England. lol)

Wow all this sounds great!  One question this Prawn i keep hearing about is that like a Shrimp?? I think we had that it Ireland but not sure. Thanks !!!!Sealed
David Donnelly
David Donnelly
quotePosted at 12:16 on 25th March 2009

"Wow all this sounds great!  One question this Prawn i keep hearing about is that like a Shrimp?? I think we had that it Ireland but not sure. Thanks "!!!!

Yes, it's what you call shrimp, which brings us to another dish.....Scampi and Chips, real Scampi should be Dublin Bay Prawns but I suspect that the cheap stuff is any old bits of fish in batter. 

Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 07:51 on 26th March 2009
Cod, Plaice, mussels, cockles etc, especially if I go and get them myself.  Living around the coast I grew up on seafood.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 10:41 on 26th March 2009
On 18th March 2009 04:02, Ruth Gregory wrote:

I love Jelly Babies and mushy peas.  But not together.  lol

But I don't think you can get a decent cup of coffee anywhere in the British Isles.

Disagree with you there Ruth. Coffee is imported to the uk from south America just as it is in the States. You can buy whatever blend or instant coffee you require here and if you buy it ready to drink, that would depend on the vendor. you will probly find that if you go to the mcdonalds chain (Big mac) they have the same standards as their sister stores in America or Russia. I think it comes down to personal taste or geographical postitions. For instance if you drink coffee in London, its probly made from freshly recycled water from the river Thames, If you drink it in the Lake district its probly made from Fresh lake water filtred through the local bedrock and mountain streams. Manchester gets its water from the Lake District also.
The same applies to the English cup of 'tea'. Like it or loath it, for instance my wife wont drink a cup of tea that I make, she prefares to make her own although we make it with identical ingriediants using the same water and utensils. 
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:00 on 26th March 2009
On 18th March 2009 15:37, Mick Covell wrote:
On 18th March 2009 13:57, Sue H. wrote:

Jelly Babies and Jelly Beans are different. Jelly Babies are shaped like babies, and are soft through out, whereas jelly beans have the harder shell. I haven't found an equivalent to jelly babies over here.

Oh, and the Haribo jelly babies are THE BEST!

Not too keen on Jelly Babies but you can get them from World Market and stores such as that . I love Wine Gums ( its gotta be Maynards ) and Yorkshire Mixture . I do miss dandelio and burdock pop too .

just to clarify Micks comment- 'Pop' in the UK is a flavoured fizzy mineral water drink, served chilled. Dandelion and Burdock is just one  flavouring. (Made originally from dandelion and Burdock leaf). Looks like coke or dark beer. Sarsapirella (sounds like sasp-rella) is another refreshing cold drink. 

Ice cream is safe to eat because its made and sold under strict controlled hygiene conditions, unlike some foriegn countries we visit on holiday.

Cheeses are a must to try, forget the imported continental varieties, try the local english cheeses made at our local dairies.(You may find that you can visit the local dairy and watch them being made, worth a trip!) 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:12 on 26th March 2009
Oh a bit of Red Leichester, now I haven't had that in a while. 
Mark Green
Mark Green
quotePosted at 21:35 on 26th March 2009

A really good curry from my local Indian restaurant has got to be my favourite english food!! :-)

Stilton is my favourite local cheese. We have so many Starbucks and Costa coffee shops around here now they are almost on every street corner!

EnglishRose
EnglishRose
quotePosted at 13:25 on 14th May 2009

Toad in the Hole. Yum!

And Mark - apparently most curries we have in English curry houses were actually invented in England, such as the Korma!

I love cheese too - any type!

Rose.

Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 19:19 on 14th May 2009
WHAT?? I just saw this post Rose,,what is Toad in the hole????? please explain..;-))LOL