Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Church of St Mary the Virgin at South Baddesley, Hampshire.

South Baddesley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Upload changes to photo.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Shashin Micro 4/3
Shashin Micro 4/3
quotePosted at 19:26 on 2nd January 2022
I joined the site in the last few days and uploaded 5 photos.  My photo of "St Catherine's Church Draughton" has suffered a major disaster !  The uploaded version version has become darker than the original, as well as losing sharpness and dynamic range.  The original was taken in contrasty light, can that be a problem for the site ?  Any help would be welcome.  Thanks.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 21:04 on 3rd January 2022

Hi Shashin. Never had this problem before with the site. Also, like Paul has said in a comment, the image looks fine. If you want to email the original, I would be able to compare, that might help. - email to : uk2@picturesofengland.com

Also, is it just with the one image? or do all of images you have uploaded look different?

Cheers,

Chris

poe
quotePosted at 22:09 on 3rd January 2022

After having a look at the original image myself (that we keep a copy of on the server for sale purposes etc), I can indeed see a difference. I'm therefore looking into this to see what can be done to enhance the copies that we display on the site. I will get back to you in the next couple of days once I have some more information.

Thanks again for pointing it out,

Chris

poe
quotePosted at 11:05 on 5th January 2022

Hi Sashin, please could you take a look at your image here (opens in new window) and compare it to the original. It should be a lot better now, as we have changed some settings of the site so that the images on display are closer to the original image in terms of quality.

The way the site currently works is, when an image is uploaded, we keep an intact original which is then used to create copies of for display around the site. These copies used to be stored physically, however in an attempt to cut hosting costs we no longer keep a physical image apart from the original one, then as a user hits a page, that sends a request out to the server to create a copy on-the-fly of the original, to then serve back for display. That physical copy will then be kept for 24 hours on the server before it is deleted.

This was a necessary step we took recently to keep the site going as we were struggling to find the hosting costs for it.

Anyway, please let us know how you feel about the quality now, as it is important for us to get that right.

All the best and thanks again

Edited by: poe at:5th January 2022 11:08
 Please login to post to this thread...