Kielder

in the county of Northumberland

Tomb of Princess Elizabeth in St. Thomas's Church, Newport

Newport

in the county of Isle of Wight

Bexhill-on-sea boulevard, Sussex

Bexhill

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pastimes And Hobbies

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 12:34 on 25th November 2011
Well you're in the place then Gary, we got one or two genealogist on the site and most definitely a few jokers ! ! ! !
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:59 on 25th November 2011
  Gary , were your ancetors Cousin Jacks or Jennys, that is the name of all the Cornish who emigrated in their droves when the mining industry collapsed. Many Cornish miners ended up in the Americas (North & South) , South Africa and of course to places like Moonta and others in Australia.
Gary Fradd
Gary Fradd
quotePosted at 23:42 on 25th November 2011

Whats the difference between Jacks and Jennys? - excuse my ignorance. I had 2 males and 1 female emigrate out to Burra here in South Australia if thats what you mean.

Im very raw when it comes to Cornish tradition but Im keen to pick up any snippets along the way in my POE journey.

I had one male go to Canada and 1 also to South Africa. And one or two who regularly come up on shipping records as far as India and even Japan.

Tell me, Was part of the Cornish countryside raped of trees to feed to mining industry? Here in Burra the landscape is quite barren because of this.

Edited by: Ron Brind at:26th November 2011 07:10
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:52 on 26th November 2011

Hi Gary , simple, a Cousin Jack is your tin (or copper) miner who left Cornwall because of the collapse of the industry at home and travelled to the four corners of the earth in search of work at the bottom of a hole in the ground in a hard rock area with minerals/ore to be won. Cousin Jenny is his wife or daughter who travelled with him, many of the women had to stay at home and just hope their men could find work and send much needed money home or sometimes send for their family if work was plentiful and a new life could be established many many miles from their homeland. Today the descendants of these intrepid folk cling on to their heritage and many Cornish associations exist in the areas where the Cornish settled.

Your question about trees is an interesting one and one I have never considered or seen details of but when you consider the vast amount of timber used in mining ( pump rods, props , buildings, to name but a few) I must agree that many must have been used in the mining industry. One other snippet- Cornwall for all it's mineral wealth has never had any coal of it's own ( tis a geology thing ) so all the coal needed for the hundreds of steam engines pumping, stamping and winding all had to be shipped from Wales ! On the return journey the ships would return to Wales laden with ore for smelting.

Hope that helps Gary, Chons Da !

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5