Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Preston

Preston

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Photo orientation

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

John Tomlinson
John Tomlinson
quotePosted at 15:21 on 4th August 2019
Please could any one explain why uploaded photos sometimes change their orientation? Is it possible to correct this?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 17:01 on 4th August 2019
Hi John, images should not change orientation when you upload them, however I will keep an eye on things. I have corrected the image that was the wrong way up as it is done in the admin before approval if needed. Thanks for adding your fantastic images to the site. 
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:37 on 4th August 2019

Many, but not all, digital cameras automatically insert a record of the camera's orientation into the EXIF data.  A problem may occur if this data is not extracted correctly or recognized by the downloader / viewer software. My default menu setting on my Canon cameras is to set  the 'Auto Rotate' option to 'ON' for both PC download and for viewing on the camera's screen. This has always given the correct orientation when viewing locally or uploading images to PoE. Other makes of camera should have a similar 'Auto Rotate' check box, and the default setting should normally be 'ON' for correct result.

The EXIF specification can be found here Japan Electronics and IT Industries Association though only the geeks will find it interesting.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:4th August 2019 21:52
John Tomlinson
John Tomlinson
quotePosted at 22:07 on 4th August 2019
Thank you Edward. I will look at that on my Canon.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:46 on 4th August 2019

That's OK, John, but be aware that this menu option may not be available on your particular model of camera, unless it has a built-in orientation sensor. The orientation of the image displayed on your PC also depends on what image browser software you use - some older image browsers do not pick up the orientation tag correctly.

Please login to post to this thread...