Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Rhyl Harbour

Rhyl

in the county of Denbighshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Maurice from Oban

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

MauriceFWilkins
MauriceFWilkins
quotePosted at 19:51 on 2nd October 2018

I'm originally from Hampton in Middlesex, but moved to Scotland in 1973 when I married a Scottish girl from Glasgow. I've lived in Edinburgh, Gartocharn on Loch Lomond, Arduaine in Argyll and have now retired nearby to Oban. I'm 70 years old.

As a teenager I spent a lot of time travelling about the area and in what I now know to be the 'Surrey Hills'. I do the same whenever I came back to Hampton on a visit and will be doing so in a couple of weeks, when I will no doubt revisit Box Hill and choose some village inn for a pub lunch. Scotland is a wonderfully attractive country, but my heart is still in England!

I discovered this website when Googling 'Friday Street', a small village in Surrey. As a kid I pulled up a small rowan seedling from the woods there and planted it in the garden at home where it grew to be a lovely tree, and hopefully still is, though my family no longer live in the house. The reminder of 'Friday Street' came from a chapter from the book 'The Surrey Hills' by F.E.Green, published in 1915, which I bought, strangely enough, in the Oxfam bookshop in Oban last week for £8.99.

We enjoy holidays mostly in Britain and as children went on regular family holidays to the Isle of Wight and still do. I look forward to happy browsing on this site.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 15:58 on 5th October 2018
Hello Maurice and welcome to POE.
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 12:32 on 9th October 2018
Hi Maurice, nice to meet you, and a warm welcome to the site.
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 17:18 on 13th October 2018

Hi Maurice, there is also a Friday Street in Suffolk, I did have dome pictures of it somewhere.

I wonder why the name    Friday Street  and where else is there a place by the same name? 

Please login to post to this thread...