Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Harwich's historic Ha'penny Pier at night, Looking towards Felixstowe Docks. Essex

Harwich

in the county of Essex

Postbridge, Dartmoor in Devon

Postbridge

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Brian from Bradford

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

brianspics
brianspics
quotePosted at 13:00 on 10th July 2018

Hi all great to find this site.

I am 70 and a semi retired wedding photographer.

In my proffesional  job I use pro spec canon cameras and lens but my passion is using older film and some digital cameras taking Landscapes.

I buy on Ebay use for a couple of months and then resell.I just love the feel of classic 35mm and med format cameras and the way it slows you down. Its almost medative and so different from my (now part time) day job.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 12:36 on 11th July 2018

Hi Brian and a big warm welcome to the site. It's great to have you onboard, and thanks for uploading some of your wonderful pictures of England. Hope you enjoy the site.

Chris & Sarah

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 07:44 on 18th July 2018

Hello Brian, it's great to see a post on PoE which has something to do with photography. I had given up posting on PoE due to the total lack of interest in photographic discussions.

Your post interested me because like you, I grew up using film, and understand the discipline involved.

I am also a Canon user and have both film (EOS-3) and several digital SLRs (full frame and APS-C). I haven't used film for a few years now but I agree with you that using film makes you think and take it slowly. The cost per frame of film is a big factor in encouraging me to get it right before pressing the shutter button. Having grown up using film, I still think in terms of film when using a digital camera and generally work in Manual mode if time allows.

Like you, I tend to buy my camera gear second hand, but usually from dealers who give a guarantee. Even the top of the range cameras have come down to a more affordable price after a few years. Unfortunately, for the second hand buyer at least, good lenses tend not to depreciate as much.

I hope your posting will kick off more photographic discussions on PoE and I would like to second Chris & Sarah's welcome. 

brianspics
brianspics
quotePosted at 20:41 on 18th July 2018

Hi Edward

the last film camera I used proffesionally was EOS 3 great camera and wish I had kept it but px it for 5D

Have loved photography since the age of 12 and done daylight exposure prints then moved on to temp darkroom in bathroom to conversion in loft mono at first and eventually colour print.

Some things are definately better since the event of digital but still remember  seeing wet prints appear in mono or the hassel of colour balance filter packs for drum development of colour prints. 

just got a bronica outfit going to Tideswell( cathedral in the peaks) tomorrow so may have some images to post in a week or so

with Kodak ektra/ilford fp4 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:52 on 19th July 2018

Hi Brian,

There was something magic about developing your own films which you don't get with digital. The downside of using film is the ongoing cost compared with digital, which essentially costs you nothing extra once you've bought the kit.  And of course digital quality has improved so much over the years, although it has a different 'feel' and you only have 1's and 0's on a memory card rather than a physical negative.

I agree about the EOS 3 being a great camera, one of the last film cameras from Canon.  I still use it occasionally, but only for film transparencies.

Have fun with the Bronica. Roll film must be expensive these days both to buy and process. Definitely a case of getting it right before pressing the shutter button ! 

Please login to post to this thread...