Groombridge

in the county of East Sussex

West Bay in Dorset

West Bay

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Christchurch Priory, Christchurch, Dorset

Christchurch

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Greetings from Maggy Shannon of Macon, Georgia

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Maggy Shannon
Maggy Shannon
quotePosted at 14:48 on 14th March 2018

Hello Dear Pictures of England Friends,

My name is Maggy Shannon and I live in Macon, Georgia.  

I have long enjoyed PicturesofEngland.com because many of the books I read are set in England.  I like being able to visualize the places I am reading about.  Mostly I enjoy reading biographies, but I also like mysteries and history.  I especially enjoyed the Duchess of Devonshire's memoir “Wait for Me!”, “The Suspicions of Mr Whicher” by Kate Summerscale, and the Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George.

I have finally joined the group because I want to do something nice for my friend and thought perhaps you all might be able to assist.  

My dear friend Mrs Haywood is a very homesick Englishwoman.  She is originally from Putney.  In 1939, her mother sent her to a boarding school in Sunningdale, Berkshire where she would be safe from the expected Nazi attacks on London.  The school was held in the former home of Count Gleichen, St Bruno's.  I have been hoping to find pictures of that building to show Mrs Haywood.  I have learned the building has been greatly changed since World War II and has been transformed into a group of flats.  I thought I had found a photograph of it, but Mrs Haywood didn’t recognize it.

Anyway, I am hoping very much that someone here might have some pictures of St Bruno's they would share or might be able to help me in my researches. 

I would be very glad to help any of you if I can.  You need only ask!

Sincerely,

Your friend Maggy Shannon 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dusty Royds
Dusty Royds
quotePosted at 22:09 on 1st April 2018
Dear Maggy Had a quick look on various web sites come up with these one`s may help in your reseach http://www.berkshirehistory.com/villages/sunningdale.html,  and this one     https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photos+of+st+bruno+flats+charters+road+sunningdale&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwib1tu-gZraAhUqKMAKHWjGA9QQ7AkIOw&biw=1301&bih=620#imgrc=_      as far as I can see its seems st bruno flats charters road Sunningdale, may well be the old school. the best of luck in your endevours.

Edited by: lewpatrick at:1st April 2018 22:26
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...