Pictures of England Pictures of England

Exploring the most Picturesque & Historic parts of England

Over 150,000 photos of England
22,000+ members
Click here to join the community
RuislipCorfe CastleThrough the round windowView out of Netherton tunnelDona AmeliaRose

SITE IMPROVEMENTS

DAVID DALEPremier Member - Click for more info
DAVID DALE
quotePosted at 09:57 on 22nd March 2018

When choosing photos to upload, there appears a thumbnail of the chosen pic and it is difficult to see what the photo depicts, especially for someone whose eyesight is poor and therefore they would have difficulty in describing the photo subject on that initial downloading and to do it whilst the photo is pending approval is a bit complicated to navigate the system, Also there should be a means to rotate a photo as a photo though correct on downloading, needs rotating at  your end. It is easy for someone to forget the content whilst attending to the necessary beforehand. Different for some one using 2 computers.

The improvement suggested if possible is for photos to got on a blank sheet your end where photos can be downloaded in block and when photos are on site. we could then open that blank page and edit thos photos. with an icon at the bottom of the sheet stating done and where then they go to the normal area for you to approve or reject.

It is very difficult to explain the idea and it is hoped that one gets the gist of the idea or opens up a thread to improve matters. As is it can take up to two minutes and maybe more for one photo to be accepted on site and someone wishing to present ten photos can take them half hour to get them all through

As things stands some improvements on this should be made.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 20:31 on 22nd March 2018

HI David, thanks for this. I think I get the gist of it.

You are basically asking for -

1. The ability to upload multiple photos instead of just one at a time.

2. A thumbnail of each photo to be shown prior to pressing the upload button, so you can see which photo it is which will help with the description etc.

3. Once you have pressed the upload button, then an 'upload progress bar/indicator' to be shown, so you know when the upload has finished.

These are all good ideas, and ones we hope to introduce at some point in the not so distant future. Our problem at the moment is budget, as all these things cost money to get implemented, money that we don't have.However, the site would be so much better with these things added, so they will remain a goal for us. Thanks so much for your valued input.

Chris & Sarah

DAVID DALE
quotePosted at 22:58 on 22nd March 2018

I am pleased that you have these things in mind and look forward to seeing the improvements.

However I am at loss to see how a budget is required to implement these changes as the initial site is yours.I would have thought that as things stand you would be able to do this with what now have, without further expense.

It would be appreciated that you explain exactly where the expence comes in and what things you need to purchase to implement these improvements and what the cost is.It is possible that financial help may be at hand.This will become clear when a reply to this is received.. 

poe
quotePosted at 09:55 on 23rd March 2018

Hi David,

When we first started the PoE website back in 2001 we coded everything ourselves, however, this was a very basic site to begin with, with no user login system or upload functionality. We'd add all the images ourselves after receiving them via email from kind people who loved sharing their photos of England.

So when we introduced the user login system, user upload system and other features such as commenting, forum and so on, this all had to be coded by a professional web developer using computer languages such as PHP, Java, AJAX, and so on. The site you see now has cost many tens of thousands of pounds to build, and many tens of thousands to host and maintain, it's not been cheap. In fact at the moment it's incredibly difficult for us to afford to simply keep it running, a constant struggle, but it's been that way for many years now. The trouble is it doesn't earn enough from ad revenue so we never have enough to improve it. We hope someday that will change but until then we do our best to make the most of what we have, and keep it ticking over.The site has to be hosted, which isn't cheap either and we are currently behind on that, which is our biggest concern at the moment.

Regarding cost of the functionality/improvements you mention, I would need to ask a developer, but it would probably be upwards of £500 to get the lot done.

DAVID DALE
quotePosted at 08:36 on 30th March 2018

Thank you for your reply.

I knew there was an initial cost of setting up a Web site as I have looked into this for my self. But that information told me what or if any about the expenditure needed in future to run the site..I will be looking into this more with an acquaintance in the middle of April for my own purposes.If there is anything  relevant from it I will let you know.

I do not know what your weekly new members intake is whether it is only a couple or runs into a hundred. In fact I wonder if it would be profitable to let the whole membership know the plight that you have keeping the site going. Perhaps some would offer some required assistance which would help to relieve the burden I would chip in on this but I feel that in the long term my efforts would be wasted and I do not like to be wasteful. I would be delighted if I had a certainty that others were chipping in, 

poe
quotePosted at 13:47 on 31st March 2018

Thanks David, and yes it may come to it that we have to ask members for contributions in order to keep the site online.

Have a good weekend,

Chris & Sarah

Please login to post to this thread...