Pictures of England Pictures of England

Exploring the most Picturesque & Historic parts of England

Over 150,000 photos of England
22,000+ members
Click here to join the community

How can we improve PicturesofEngland.com?

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 09:12 on 22nd June 2017

Please post your suggestions below on how you think we can improve the PoE website. Is there anything you dislike? What needs improving? Please let us know. Thank you. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:46 on 25th June 2017

When I signed up with POE, it was the photogrsphy aspect that attracted me. Over the years, I have sadly observed a decline in quality images. I feel that it would benefit POE to introduce some controls. Maybe restricting the number of pictures would assist, as seeing large batches of very similar images is frankly boring and a bit insulting to the viewer. If POE just accepts all pictures submitted, quality will automatically suffer. People all over the world want to see our beautiful country, not just the pretty places but real quality images of our villages, towns, cities and countryside. Also, surely our customs are of great interest to other nations. Our people are interesting too! 

My hope is that the picture quality will be improved. Just take a look at the images realistically and there are some really terrible ones. I know this site will always attract amateurs like me to submit, but out of focus, poorly composed shots have no place in this day of digital technology.

if no quality control is possible things will remain the same.

i would love to see a more active forum. In the past I have contributed to posts and started several. But the response has always been negligible. Maybe my poets have been boring. I can live with that. I seldom contribute these days as I simply see no point. It saddens me greatly, but I now contribute to photo sharing sites and love the interaction. The pictures are vibrant and challenging, inspiring even. I have commented on a few recent pictures on POE and those have been like a breath of fresh air. More please photographers! 

I hope the forum will attract more people. I hope better pictures are submitted. I hope it all attracts more attention all over the globe. I hope POE can apply some new controls, and maybe up the minimum pixel requirement. 

Good luck. I still have great affection for POE. Look at the older contributions and ask, where have all the photographers gone. Not all kicking up the daisies that's for sure! You need to attract them back, as well as new ones. 

Rod.  

poe
quotePosted at 23:15 on 25th June 2017
On 25th June 2017 17:46, Rod Burkey wrote:

I hope the forum will attract more people. I hope better pictures are submitted. I hope it all attracts more attention all over the globe. I hope POE can apply some new controls, and maybe up the minimum pixel requirement. .  

All things we want too Rod :) 

Regarding images, it is certainly not the case that we let any old image through, far from it, but perhaps it seems that way sometimes as you can't see what is NOT accepted. Sometimes more are rejected than actually get through, just to keep quality above a certain level. This never used to be the case a year or two ago, but it is now, even if we have no images for the location or no other images to publish on a given day.

Yes there is still room for improvement, but also other ways around the issue, which is what we are working on right now, so that everyone is happy, or as best as can be hoped for.

Regarding multiple images that are similar, again, this should be a fairly infrequent, but we will ttake note and keep an eye  on it. 

Give us a bit more time Rod,  join in when you can, and we promise that we will do our best not to let you down. Things will improve in the coming months and are starting to already. Smile

Ken IncePremier Member - Click for more info
Ken Ince
quotePosted at 10:19 on 26th June 2017
It would considerably improve the website if the previous and next buttons stayed at the same spot on the screen regardless of the aspect ratios of the photos.  Why not have them above the photo?
Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:44 on 26th June 2017

Thank you poe, for the comments. As for rejecting images, I  dread to think how poor they must be, and I could show you pictures that have no merit or even any descriptions, but that would be inappropriate. All these things are subjective, and I must appreciate that.

It's good that Ken has added his thoughts. I hope more people find a little time, as feedback is vital I think, not only to judge the apparent levels of apathy relating to the forum but also there must be some great ideas out there.

I am away soon for three weeks and will pop into POE on my return.

Rod. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:26th June 2017 11:19
Andreas LindbergPremier Member - Click for more info
Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 10:53 on 26th June 2017

I agree with Rod.
Of course, improving the site and content takes a lot of time and effort. Also, we, the users can never know how much work has gone into it once we see what is published.

One way to further improve the content could be to "clean up". What I mean by that is going through the locations/attractions and remove 'duplicates' and images that don't (any longer) meet a certain standard. This standard would have to be determined by Sarah and Chris, perhaps aided by others in a private discussion.

Another suggestion I would like to make is to set up thumbnail pages. In my opinion, that would greatly improve the browsing experience. This would be a lot less time-consuming after, or in conjunction with a clean-up.

This site has given me a lot of joy and helped me a great deal to plan my trips. In order to give something back, I would like to offer my help. Sarah and Chris, I don't know if you are keen on "letting in strangers" but if you are, do get in touch.

Edited by: Andreas Lindberg at:26th June 2017 11:07
Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 11:20 on 26th June 2017
Some very interesting points fro9m Andreas. His images are superb by the way. 
poe
quotePosted at 15:41 on 26th June 2017

Thanks Rod, Ken, and Andreas. All this feedback is exactly what we need to help us improve poe. Great stuff.

Rod - Enjoy your trip wherever you're headed, stay safe,and we'll see you when you get back. Thanks again for your feedback and it's great to see you adding an image again.

Andreas - Really grateful for your kind offer of some help around the site, and it would be hugely appreciated as we do struggle to keep on top of it all. Please give me a couple of days and I will get back to you on it, I just need to update a few things regarding admin and check a few things over before letting anyone loose.

PS By the way Andreas, you're not a stranger! You've been with us over 2 years now and therefore are part of the poe family Wink

Cheers guys

poe
quotePosted at 16:00 on 26th June 2017
On 26th June 2017 10:19, Ken Ince wrote:
It would considerably improve the website if the previous and next buttons stayed at the same spot on the screen regardless of the aspect ratios of the photos.  Why not have them above the photo?

I've copied the photo navigation to above the photos as well as leaving it below. We'll look into other solutions but this should make it better for now. It has been above the photo before but got removed for some reason or another. It definetely makes a difference though when browsing the pics, and is much nicer. Cheers guys.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/tour/Churches/pictures/1194778

poe
quotePosted at 16:50 on 26th June 2017
On 26th June 2017 10:53, Andreas Lindberg wrote:
Another suggestion I would like to make is to set up thumbnail pages. In my opinion, that would greatly improve the browsing experience. This would be a lot less time-consuming after, or in conjunction with a clean-up.

Andreas, we have thumbnail pages - http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Dorset/Shillingstone/pictures/thumbnails

Or did you mean soemthing different?