Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Acton Burnell - the Castle and St. Mary's Church

Acton Burnell

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Local images against well known beauty spots

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 Next >

Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:10 on 10th April 2014

It occured to me that I get as much satisfaction taking / uploading local (to me) images of lesser known places ...as I do some of the more well known beauty spots / places of interest, that we visit.This is a fabulous country for all types of photography & if you are lucky enough you wont have to venture too far to get that eye catching / interesting shot, that not many would of seen before as it is local to you. Places like the Lakes, Devon & Cornwall, Peaks, Scotland even, will always be most peoples places for getting top shots of beautiful scenes. But don't forget your own "backyard" ..as I have found out over recent years.It may not be as stunning or have the allure of the bigger places of interest, but great images can be found in the most unexpected places..... if you know where to look, & it's always nice to come across a scene or place you have never heard of before? Some of the countryside & villages near to me are wonderful ... & things I took for granted before, I see in a totally different perspective, with a camera in my hand. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:18 on 10th April 2014

Just realised this thread should be under the title "picture chat" rather than updates & announcements !

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:26 on 10th April 2014

Not to worry Martin

Less than a quarter of a mile from me is a very old canal outlet -i have never thought of walking down for some pics--even the old lock-masters cottage is there dated 1800Smile

Edited by: james prescott at:10th April 2014 19:30
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:11 on 10th April 2014

I have to agree Martin, I love taking photos of my local area just as much as my other favourite places such as Cornwall, The Lakes & The Yorkshire Dales. I consider the area where I live to be just as beautiful as anywhere I've been in the world, and I've been quite a few places.

I used to take this area for granted as I've lived here all my life, then when I realised that people were actually coming here for their holidays I started looking at it in a different light. Now I think I've probably just as many 'local' photos as I have of anywhere else.

Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 00:34 on 11th April 2014
A case in point James , maybe it would be worth a stroll down & fire off a few shots ? You never know how they will come out & they may be worth uploading? It's amazing how much local history you can come across?
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:48 on 11th April 2014

There are lots of wonderful things to capture with a camera within a few minutes walk of most front doors. Ours is a most diverse country with visual treats that we can easily take for granted because they are so familiar to us. It's always worth while taking the camera out for a walk and try to see where your feet take you as though you are seeing it for the first time. In any city own or village the  eye can be greatly rewarded by lifting the eye higher than normal as there are some fascinating things to see. It is such a shame that many would rather stare at their mobile 'phones rather than what is on show even on a walk to the bus stop. 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:46 on 11th April 2014
  Quite a few of the local shots that I have posted were taken whilst on bike rides, so not only do I get to dust off the camera -I get a bit of exercise into the bargin-----------  win/win.
Pat Trout
Pat Trout
quotePosted at 10:22 on 12th April 2014

Think i would fall off a bike now Vince, have'nt rode one for years.

Have a great weekend 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:02 on 12th April 2014

I've never been any good on a bike, only been on one twice on the Camel Trail in Padstow, I came off both times, so it's walking for me.

Have a good weekend Vince Smile 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 12:59 on 12th April 2014
Yesterday we happened to walk over the canal bridge and there to my amazement was an adult Heron on the bank --it was the first time that i hadnt got my camera with me --so it pays to carry one with you for the unexpected picture.Smile
1 2 3 4 Next >