Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Elan Valley, Wales

Rhayader

in the county of Powys

Hest Bank, Lancashire

Hest Bank

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Insider tips, please!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Andreas LindbergPremier Member - Click for more info
Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 21:25 on 27th May 2015

I can hardly wait until I set foot on English soil again for my 2015 holiday. June 19th is the day!
Thought I'd post my route here, hoping to get some tips and advice on the not-so-obvious, can't-miss places. I have mapped up all the National Trust properties for the trip, and I think I'm aware of the more obvious, touristy landmarks.
What I'm after are places that you don't read about in every other Visit Britain article, especially those that might be of interest to a keen amateur photographer. Of course, I'm going through the picture tours and articles here on POE.

So, these are the places my wife and I will stay in (We'll be going by car for flexibility.):
Adbaston, Staffs
Llandudno, Conwy
Parbold, Lancs
Windermere, Cumbria
Grassington, N. Yorks
Tideswell, Derbys

Thanks a lot in advance!
Andreas

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:51 on 27th May 2015
Where are you starting off from Andreas--??
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 22:04 on 27th May 2015

Hi Andreas.

I've just arrived home from two days in Llandudno. There is a wonderful cable car trip from just by Llandudno Pier to the top of Great Ormes Head. Each cable car holds just two people, the round trip is just over 2 miles and the cars are open so there are some wonderful views, which are not obscured by scratched or dirty glass. Great for photos. It's £9 per adult for the return trip, but well worth it on a clear day.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:14 on 27th May 2015
Hi Andreas, have to agree with Ruth about Llandudno have spent many pleasant visits there. But my favourite place has got to be Windermere, although I tend to base myself a few miles further north in Ambleside, but what's a few miles anyway. One of the most beautiful parts of the country and you could probably see most of it in a couple of days although that would not give you long to stop off at various places. 3 nights would probably be a good bet as this would give you the best part of 4 days depending arrival and departure times. But what ever you decide you will not be disappointed. And when you get to know how long you will be staying in each area we can probably narrow things down for you
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:29 on 27th May 2015
 Hi Andreas, Your list is rather out of my area other than Windermere which is certainly Dave's country and he will have information in great detail of the Lakes, the only comment I would make is a trip over Kirkstone Pass would be well worth the time and also a wander round Hawkshead would not go astray.
Patrick Hogan
Patrick Hogan
quotePosted at 22:47 on 27th May 2015

Hi Andreas,

If you are into sunrises and sunsets you need to use http://photoephemeris.com/    You may already use it but I often refer to it for daytime sun positions.

Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 05:56 on 28th May 2015
On 27th May 2015 21:51, james prescott wrote:
Where are you starting off from Andreas--??
We're flying from Sweden to Manchester. Tatton Park on the way down to the first stop.
Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 06:04 on 28th May 2015
On 27th May 2015 22:04, rustyruth wrote:

Hi Andreas.

I've just arrived home from two days in Llandudno. [...]

I saw the cable car station on Google maps. I think £9 is hideously expensive for a ride. If I remember correctly, the ride up Snowdon is even more...
But it's great to hear it's worth it, so thanks, Ruth! Hadn't you posted your comment, I'd most likely have skipped it.

Edited by: Andreas Lindberg at:28th May 2015 06:30
Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 06:20 on 28th May 2015
On 27th May 2015 22:14, Dave John wrote:
[...] But my favourite place has got to be Windermere, [...] 3 nights would probably be a good bet as this would give you the best part of 4 days depending arrival and departure times. [...]
That's exactly what we'll do. Three nights in Windermere, and some hours on the drives to and from it.
Lake District will probably be all about landscape and serenity, and I've looked up quite a number of places to see. To name just a few, Blea Tarn, Wast Water, Friar's Crag, Dacre, Ullswater. I think it'll be beautiful just about anywhere in the area.
Unfortunately, I have really bad knees, so long hikes are out of the question. We'll stay reasonably close to what can be considered a road.
Wink
Andreas Lindberg
quotePosted at 06:22 on 28th May 2015
On 27th May 2015 22:29, Vince Hawthorn wrote:
[...] Kirkstone Pass would be well worth the time and also a wander round Hawkshead would not go astray.
Thanks Vince! Kirkstone Pass is on the list, Hawkshead I'll have to look up.