Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Countryside view around Slaidburn, Lancashire

Slaidburn

in the county of Lancashire

The Cliffs at Hunstanton

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

First time in England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Lonnie Ray
Lonnie Ray
quotePosted at 18:31 on 12th January 2013

Hello,

First I’d like to say thank you for the friendly, and helpful advice that I received in the intro forum.  One point made there, which I’m sure is good advice, is not to try to cram too much into a short time.  With that in mind, I’d like to pose a few questions before my family arrives for a week in April, about the value of certain sights.  I think that we will be staying somewhere between Winchester and Eastbourne, and anticipate at least two or three days spent in London, which leaves 4 or 5 days for other spots. 

As someone that is a student of English literature and a passionate history buff, sights that open a window to England’s rich past are attractive to me.  That said, I would like to inquire about two places initially: Stratford-upon-Avon and Canterbury.    Stratford-upon-Avon seems like a must see; what do you think?  And is Canterbury a good place to spend a day?  We would like to avoid tacky tourist traps.

I do not know why my last paragraphs are changing font; please forgive.  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:09 on 12th January 2013

Are you planning on returning to Winchester and/or Eastbourne each day, or will you be doing Canterbury and Stratford from a different base?

As for Canterbury I would say there are better opportunities such as Oxford, Woodstock (Blenheim Palace), Burford, Chipping Campden, the Slaughters for example, and it would fit in with Stratford, but it really depends where you plan on starting from.

You'll find travel in England is not like the States. Here it will take you 30 minutes to travel 4 or 5 miles in say Oxford, Burford, Stratford ....if you are lucky that is!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:42 on 12th January 2013

This may or may not help you Lonnie, but back in late 2010 I did some whistle stop tours of several counties - unfortunately it ground to a halt before I got to include Stratford, but you will find a list of them here:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Picture_Chat/4574

the links to each of the counties covered - at least I hope the links still work. Yep!  Just tried the one for Hampshire (includes info on Winchester) and it works!!  Lots of places to see and things to do!!

Hampshire:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Picture_Chat/4418/1

Sussex:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Picture_Chat/4422

Kent:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Picture_Chat/4437

Hope you enjoy the tours and it helps you to decide where to go, stay and see! 

Lonnie Ray
Lonnie Ray
quotePosted at 00:56 on 13th January 2013

Ron,

I was kind of planning on day trips and returning to base each night, wherever that might be.  Is that a poor idea?  Why is travel so slow?  Single lane roads or a lot of traffic?  The small towns that you mentioned, would they be spots that we could see on the same day as Stratford?

Thanks  for your suggestions.

Lonnie Ray
Lonnie Ray
quotePosted at 01:13 on 13th January 2013

Cathy,

Thank you for your tour threads; they are very helful in showing what you can see near certain other sights, and they are filled with beautiful photos.  I can't believe how much you fit into a days travel.  It looks like you stayed in different spots as you went, right?  Did you have reservations or did you just wing it?  Do you feel that you got to spend sufficient time at each spot, or did you feel rushed?

Thanks

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 02:26 on 13th January 2013

Lonnie there is no way you would want to leave Winchester or Eastbourne to travel to the aforementioned and return the same day. It wouldn't be a vacation, it would be hard labour and I can assure you the word 'nightmare' doesn't even begin to cover it!

Why is travel so slow? That's the UK I'm afraid, unless you get on the Motorways and even then it would be something that you would remember for the wrong reasons, don't even attempt it would be my advice.

So what do you do? My advice would be to determine what you want to see, where you want to go, and book accommodation nearby.

An example of time from Oxford to Woodstock (travel by car about 30 minutes and then you need to park) visit Blenheim Palace 4/5 hours minimum if you intend going inside the Palace where you can park included in ticket price. Then travel to Stratford (about 40 miles and an hour travel, but need to find parking again) to walk round Stratford see Shakespeares Birthplace any amount of time from a couple of hours literally in and out, but you could easily spend a day there, and then return to Oxford another 30 minutes or so. Add it up for yourself, it's as much, if not more than you would want to do in a day.

quote | editPosted at 18:40 on 13th January 2013

I've been considering the advice I've been getting and think maybe we should split time between two lodging locations.  I found a place near Maidenhead that we could take for four or five nights as a base for London, Oxford, Woodstock (hadn’t heard of Blenheim before – looks lovely), Stratford, and maybe some of the Cotswolds or Bath; and then go down to Eastbourne area for two or three nights to take in some of Sussex and Kent.  Do you think that would be a workable idea?  Ron, now you've got me concerned about parking; I figured London would be tough but didn't think it would be a problem everywhere else.  My wife is suggesting we skip the car altogether and take public transportation, but I expect that a car would be a better option.  Even the lodgings I'm looking at say "car recommended."  

On another note, we are going to be there on Easter Sunday and I'd like to visit an English church for service.  Is the dress strictly suits and dresses or would nice casual be acceptable?  Not sure I want to pack a suit.  Also, will most things be closed on Easter?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:50 on 13th January 2013

Lonnie even Maidenhead as a base would be pushing things for what you suggest. This is so difficult to advise you but as a general rule of thumb if the place you want to see is more than 120 miles away (that will be three hours journey) then look for a hotel somewhere nearer, or else you will have the same three hours back, and how many hours 'looking around'?

I think you are trying to cram in too much, simple as that.

Parking is a nightmare and expensive no matter where you go, and the Church will let you in  wearing your PJ's if you want! lol

You need to seriously reconsider what you are doing in my opinion.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:05 on 13th January 2013

Lonnie I am so sorry if I have mislead you.  

The tours were done for fun - "a virtual tour" trying to show places that were within reasonable distance of each other, but under normal circumstances I would very doubt you could see more than 3 or 4 depending on what type of sightseeing you are doing.  

The big palaces and castles and historic towns could take the best part of a day each.  The museums, etc., maybe a bit less! 

A trip on a boat down the Thames to Hampton Court and back again would take most of one day!  An open tour bus around the sights of London may be a good choice - +/- 3 hours.  It would give you a nice overview.

I would guess that many of the museums and the like could well be closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.  But it is easy to google this information after you have chosen what you would like to see!  

I have to agree with Ron, it is incredible how long it takes to get from A - B even though it looks like a shortish distance!

Rather choose what you really would like to see the most and work your itinerary around that! 

Lonnie Ray
Lonnie Ray
quotePosted at 21:14 on 13th January 2013
Thank you both for your patience with this over-enthusiastic traveler (just so much I'd like to see), and yes Cathy I was under the wrong impression about your tour threads but that was my error.  The Maidenhead property was rented out from under me last night so back to the drawing board.  Time to do some reassessing.