Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Acton Burnell - the Castle

Acton Burnell

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Best time to visit

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Anni Casey
Anni Casey
quotePosted at 10:24 on 12th March 2012
Greetings from Australia again, thank you for your replies in the past, we are getting great ideas for our trip. Please advise what is best time to visit UK when it isn't too crowded - we re thinking to visit either mid May to mid June or mid August to mid September.  Rough idea of weather during those periods would be helpful though I know the weather is getting crazy and unpredictable all over the world.  We will be going up to the top of Scotland as well.  Thank you
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:30 on 12th March 2012

I always try to be in England in May or October. Not only is the countryside looking spectacular, but I've always found the weather to be pretty decent.

Of course, we are talking about Engalnd, where you have to expect the rain and go out prepared.  

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 20:47 on 12th March 2012
Mid may to mid june is good, Spring going into Summer, but that is no guarantee that it will be sunny and warm, but the flowers are beautiful and places are not too crowded, August is a no no as it is the height of the tourist and holiday season, and the school holidays, so most places are very crowded and busy, September is a good time too, but again very weather dependant. Make sure you bring a good warm jumper, waterproof jacket and umbrella, as well as summer tops and shorts. But you will enjoy it here whatever the weather! - As far as the Scottish weather, we have found that June and September are by far the best,but depending on where you are planning to go. This year we are going beginning of August, but we are going as far North as you can get without falling off the edge, So we are hoping the weather will be kind to us.  Scotland is amazing whatever the weather, but it can turn so quickly and yet still be beautiful.
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 16:16 on 13th March 2012
Greetings, Anni!  Welcome to PoE.  I can only vouch for May and September as those are the months in which I visited England.  But if I am lucky enough to get to go again, I will probably try to travel in one of those months again.  In my experience, the weather in May and September was spectacular!  I can only recall that it rained once or twice over a 10 day period in each trip.  Temperatures were moderate, and there were flowers blooming everywhere.  Both those months also fall into the "shoulder" season when prices for lodging, etc. are generally lower, and a bit less crowded than the summer months.  Enjoy your trip, and do please share photos with us!  All the best.  Barbara
Anni Casey
Anni Casey
quotePosted at 04:19 on 3rd April 2012
Thank you lovely people for your comments.  Looks like May it is!  Happy travelling.  Anni Casey
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 19:56 on 3rd April 2012
Have a wonderful trip Anni, and don't forget to post loads of pics for us all to see  Smile
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 15:36 on 4th April 2012

Anni: I really like traveling in the UK in October and even into November as the tourist crowds have really thinned out. A couple of things to be aware of during that time, however, are:

Autumn half-term usually occurs about the 3rd week of October when UK families book accommodations like mad (and prices go way up for that week!). Best remedy: book early and if you are going to stay in one area for a time, you can sometimes have the higher price for the half-term week lowered if you book a cottage for two consecutive weeks--cottage owners are willing to compromise on price if they have a firm booking well ahead of time ("bird in the hand" and all that!). Same goes for B&B--a very early booking during half-term periods might get you a better rate rather than waiting. Also keep in mind other half-term periods during the year which will affect accommodation pricing.

Many of the great houses close at the end of October, some even in September (though their gardens are often open year 'round), so you might not want to travel after November 1st. If you have a smart phone, both the National Trust and English Heritage have apps that you can download onto your phone with information on all of their attractions. There are also phone apps for CADW (Heritage in Wales) and VisitScotland Days Out (encompassing Historic Scotland and the National Trust for Scotland).

I've traveled in the UK in every month except for September and each season has its advantages. I'm sure that you will have a splendid time there no matter when you go!

Antonio11 Antonio11
Antonio11 Antonio11
quotePosted at 23:53 on 6th April 2012
Make sure you bring a good warm jumper, waterproof jacket and umbrella, as well as summer tops and shorts. But you will enjoy it here whatever the weather! - As far as the Scottish weather, we have found that June and September are by far the best,but depending on where you are plannin

Edited by: Antonio11 Antonio11 at:6th April 2012 23:54
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 02:38 on 7th April 2012
On 4th April 2012 15:36, Rob Faleer wrote:

Anni: I really like traveling in the UK in October and even into November as the tourist crowds have really thinned out. A couple of things to be aware of during that time, however, are:

Autumn half-term usually occurs about the 3rd week of October when UK families book accommodations like mad (and prices go way up for that week!). Best remedy: book early and if you are going to stay in one area for a time, you can sometimes have the higher price for the half-term week lowered if you book a cottage for two consecutive weeks--cottage owners are willing to compromise on price if they have a firm booking well ahead of time ("bird in the hand" and all that!). Same goes for B&B--a very early booking during half-term periods might get you a better rate rather than waiting. Also keep in mind other half-term periods during the year which will affect accommodation pricing.

Many of the great houses close at the end of October, some even in September (though their gardens are often open year 'round), so you might not want to travel after November 1st. If you have a smart phone, both the National Trust and English Heritage have apps that you can download onto your phone with information on all of their attractions. There are also phone apps for CADW (Heritage in Wales) and VisitScotland Days Out (encompassing Historic Scotland and the National Trust for Scotland).

I've traveled in the UK in every month except for September and each season has its advantages. I'm sure that you will have a splendid time there no matter when you go!

Excellent information, Rob. I will have to look up those Apps myself on my new iPhone. Glad you mentioned them. Thanks!
Anni Casey
Anni Casey
quotePosted at 03:10 on 3rd September 2012
Hello everyone! After deciding on travelling May/June 2013, a lot of the accommodation around Glastonbury and environs for early June is already booked out.  Could any of you wonderful English locals tell me if it could be because of the Summer Solstice happening in Stonehenge in June and if so, does that mean there are huge crowds in these places in June? (if so, we need to rethink our plans as these towns were to be the highlights of our trip!). 
 Please login to post to this thread...