Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

EXIF info

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:45 on 22nd April 2015
That is interesting David, as most of mine are around the maximum aperture for the given lens and or focal length in the case of variable zooms like the Sigma 17-70. All seems very odd
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:13 on 28th April 2015

I have had compatibility issues in the past with some Sigma lenses and Canon DSLRs.

Canon, and I suspect the other camera makers, do not publish details of the communication protocol between their lenses and the camera. Third-party manufacturers therefore have to make their best guess, which is not always totally correct. For example, I have some older Sigma lenses which will work fine on a Canon Film SLR but not on Digital. Usually, the incompatibility prevents the lens working at anything but full aperture. Maybe the EXIF error is something similar.   

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:49 on 28th April 2015
Thanks for that Edward, something I had not considered but would certainly answer the question. Will have to see what this weeks photos show when I get round to uploading any worth a view!!!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:23 on 30th April 2015
I think you may well have hit the nail on the head Edward. My two latest uploads both show f2,8 but one was taken at around f8 and the other f6-7 and the lens is a Sigma 24-70 f2.8. So you suggestion seems to fit the bill. Thanks again
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:25 on 28th September 2018

I thought I would resurrect this topic since the problem of incorrect display of the EXIF data on images uploaded to PoE still seems to be just the same as it always was. I have checked a few of my recent uploads, and found that whilst the ISO setting and shutter speed are reported correctly, the aperture is always wrong. Looking at my original images on any other photo browser shows that there is no fault with the EXIF data itself, so it seems to be a problem of how the PoE software interprets the data.

Although this is a minor gripe, it can be quite educational knowing what aperture setting has been used when looking at other people's images.

Please login to post to this thread...