St Eval

in the county of Cornwall

Crummock Water

Buttermere

in the county of Cumbria

Brixham, Torbay

Brixham

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:57 on 11th March 2014
On 11th March 2014 19:19, John Lawrence wrote:
Horizons aren't always straight are they, especially in your hilly part of the worldUndecided

You may not be able to see the HORIZON in a landsape, but by definition of the word, it is HORIZONTAL. In most 'non horizon' images it is still relatively easy to notice a shot taken where the camera has not been held horizontally. There is just a feeling that something is not right.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:50 on 12th March 2014

I've thought for a while that awarding 5 stars to all images when making a comment is a little ill advised. I have seen 5 stars given to pictures that are out of focus plus many other factors that would deter anyone from probably buying them or spending more than a couple of seconds viewing. POE is a very friendly site and I do appreciate that it has, until now accepted more or less all that has been uploaded.

Today, I have awarded three stars to a picture that is out of focus, or maybe just uploaded at a very low resolution. I would like your views on whether or not I have been over harsh. If I have been over critical, I’ll probably try to be less so, but to be absolutely honest I would find it hard and be tempted to just not comment on “under par” images at all. Which is better?  Might it be better if the stars were deleted and just a comment box left to air the views?  

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 17:14 on 12th March 2014

Hi Rod

If the picture you refer to is the one of the river Cuckmere then I would agree with you, had the shot taken slightly left then the bend in the river would have been in frame and still captured the tall trees on the RH in the distance.

Easy to judge after the event   

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:25 on 12th March 2014

As indicated elsewhere Rod, and I am one of the regular 5 star raters, I do think it is a case of not wanting upset 'friends' but as John has pointed out he would much rather get 3 stars with a sensible comment or suggestion. And I have to agree I think that is the way to go, but NOT to turn the site into a 'Critique' site as that would simply ruin the feeling of the site and deter people from uploading images.

I do tend to avoid obviously poor images as I think it a waste of time commenting on them, but the middle of the road, average, shots that only need a bit of thought and guidance to improve them I think are worth making suggestions. Ruth has repeatedly referred to one of hers that I suggested a different tighter crop, she took my suggestion on board and came back with a much stronger image.

As to not having the star ratings and just comments I am not so sure, although it does work on other sites.  So may be worth trialing

The star ratings have been the subject of discussion recently and the general feeling I got was that the 'blanket' 5 star rating was not the way to go forward after this short downtime we have had, yet when i look at the comments on the new uploads the vast majority have been granted 5 stars. I think 3's and 4's for the majority of images is more realistic with 5's being kept for the few outstanding shots that do grace the pages of POE from time to time. But I suppose having said that we would end with 90% 4's and 10% 5's.

Not an easy solution Rod, and I am sure more debate will ensue. I don't think you are being harsh, simply trying to raise the standard of image accepted by POE

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:27 on 12th March 2014

I saw that one and didn't comment, I couldn't understand why the bend in the river had been left out of the picture, plus it looked a little fuzzy to me. I couldn't really find much of interest in the picture.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I just couldn't think of anything to say about it so I didn't bother.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:32 on 12th March 2014
On 12th March 2014 17:14, Neil Rodgers wrote:

Hi Rod

If the picture you refer to is the one of the river Cuckmere then I would agree with you, had the shot taken slightly left then the bend in the river would have been in frame and still captured the tall trees on the RH in the distance.

Easy to judge after the event   

Totally agree Neil. 3 options available to my mind with this image

Wider angle lens to encompass the whole bend in the river and both banks

Tighter crop to lose the disjointed bit of river at bottom right

Or as you suggest frame more to the left to include the bend

Plus the image looks a bit flat to me and could do with a bit of a contrast boost

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:26 on 12th March 2014

It was the Cuckmere shot, one of two I have given three stars today. I am glad that so far my views have been recieved with such good grace, and my vision for POE is one of being a great showcase for top those wanting to know and see more about our wonderful country. 

I doubt the wisdom of offering shots for sale which do the site no favours, but I do understand that one man's meat is another man's poison.  

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:44 on 12th March 2014
I have to wonder as well how many people post and run, not reading comments on their photos and not commenting on others. I read my comments and I comment on others. Looking back through the pages of latest comments (as far as I can go) most of the comments have been made by regulars. The owner of the photo in question hasn't commented on anyone else's pictures - just a thought.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:04 on 12th March 2014

Couldn't agree more but at the end of the day it is their choice but not the spirit of POE.

Not uploaded or commented myself yet, just got too many other things on at present.

Stephen
Stephen
quotePosted at 20:57 on 12th March 2014
I very rarely give five stars. Four is usually my default setting.  Sometimes I make what I hope will be constructive comments, but when HDR  is used to such an effect that it totally saturates and spoils a scene I have to try and bite my lip and say nothing.