Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Statue of Pocahontas at St. George's Church, Gravesend.

Gravesend

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Best choice of pixel resolution for upload to PoE ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:47 on 28th December 2018

The current limit on the file size of uploads to PoE is 8 MB, with no specific recommendations on the pixel size of the image. This can be a little confusing since the actual file size is determined by both the pixel dimensions and the degree of JPG compression applied to the image.

Printed images (which most purchasers require as the finished product) will usually be printed at 300 dpi, meaning that a pixel count of 3000 x 2400 will suffice for a printed 10 x 8 inch image. I notice many users are uploading their images at much greater pixel counts than this, which can only be squeezed into the 8 MB file size by applying strong JPG compression.

My own feeling is that purchasers of images do not need huge pixel sized images and would prefer images with minimal JPG compression to yield results of better clarity than a heavily compressed image. Any thoughts of members on the matter would be appreciated. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:33 on 22nd February 2019
Great to see you are still sharing your thoughts Edward. I have been away through ill health, but this great site continues!
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 15:24 on 30th March 2019
On 22nd February 2019 09:33, Ron Brind wrote:
Great to see you are still sharing your thoughts Edward. I have been away through ill health, but this great site continues!

Thanks for keeping in touch with the old-timers. I know you have had a lot of health problems, Ron, and hope things are looking up now.
 Please login to post to this thread...