Hythe

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

Trees

Woburn

in the county of Bedfordshire

Evening near Hartington

Hartington

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Wrong exposure

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul V. A. JohnsonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul V. A. Johnson
quotePosted at 18:48 on 10th September 2018
I am fairly new to POE and have been looking through others photographs.. I cannot understand why so many are posting images that are grossly wrongly exposed. Nobody minds a shot which is not quite right but when you can only barely make out what the picture is about it is very frustrating.There are so many excellent shots and these exposure faults are degrading the site.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:32 on 10th September 2018

A casual trawl through the huge range of images on PoE shows there is indeed a huge variation in technical quality. This doesnt surprise me, since PoE  is not a 'photographic expert' site but rather a collection of images showing the many faces of England (and now also the wider UK) as interpreted by its contributors.

I don't think anyone deliberately posts bad images, but each of us has our own perception of what is acceptable. People operate at different skill levels and have different cameras at their disposal. Many excellent pictures have been taken with modest point-and-shoot cameras. Conversely, having a top-of-the-range camera doesn't guarantee a good picture, in the same way as cooking with an expensive set of saucepans doesn't guarantee a good meal.

Exposure can be tricky in some shots (especially with whited-out skies or backlighting) and leaving the camera on auto exposure can result in a gloomy image. Hopefully people learn to correct for these conditions, but it is a learning process and getting to know the camera settings. Perhaps a helpful comment would be in order on shots like these. Photographic skills, like many others, are something to be nurtured over time and this is all part of the learning curve.  

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 14:59 on 16th September 2018
I really do think that anyone can tell if a picture is in focus or exposed correctly. When I was last looking at POE on a regular basis, I got the impression that some were just adding their pictures in large batches. It would be so much better if each image was looked at subjectively before adding to this site, which after all has intentions of promoting the reality of our country. 
Bill Gazers
Bill Gazers
quotePosted at 08:20 on 14th October 2021
Hello. I'm new to photography and I didn't care so much about the expose, but I'll keep an eye on it in the future. 

Edited by: Bill Gazers at:14th October 2021 08:20
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:35 on 14th October 2021

Hi Bill, 

Digital photography has taken some of the work out of exposure that's for sure. However, as time progresses you might find that caring about the exposure setting might hold more interest. By shifting shutter speeds and apertures a whole new world of fine tuned results will give you greater ways of producing images with a style that you can make your own. Automatic modes are fine but not always perfect.  

quote | editPosted at 14:20 on 17th May 2023

It’s just amateur photos in auto mode

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:40 on 22nd May 2023
On 17th May 2023 14:20, Antonio Ozele wrote:

It’s just amateur photos in auto mode.

Are you pable to tell which pictures are shot in Auto mode by just looking at them Antonio? 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:22nd May 2023 13:41
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:01 on 1st June 2023
On 22nd May 2023 13:40, Rod Burkey wrote:
On 17th May 2023 14:20, Antonio Ozele wrote:

It’s just amateur photos in auto mode.

Are you pable to tell which pictures are shot in Auto mode by just looking at them Antonio?  

Modern digital cameras often have complex auto exposure options and they need some care in setting up to get good results. It seems illogical of Antonio to dismiss auto exposure as the domain of amateurs. I prefer to use manual exposure when time permits (such as landscape, still life, portraiture and architectural photography), but in fast-moving situations (such as wildlife, social events, sports and street photography), I use auto mode. 

Furthermore, PoE  is primarily about show-casing England in all its diversity, and all contributions have their particular appeal, irrespective of technical issues.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:1st June 2023 10:10
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:36 on 1st June 2023

Why worry about how a good, interesting picture comes into being. The end result is all that matters. Auto, manual et al are not relevant to the viewer.   

England is all you say Edward. To showcase it well, technical quality is very important. We should only ever submit images that are good. Holiday snaps should not be included here. Horizons that are not level. out of fucus pictures, and much-repeated shots are all things that put people off, and quite rightly so. POE should not be a dumping ground. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:53 on 1st June 2023

Rod, I agree that good technical quality is highly desirable, but as with any artistic endeavour, peoples' perceptions vary greatly as to what is acceptable. PoE does not seem to impose standards such as a professional photo agency might, but then the picture sales section of PoE is not its' main focus. Many submissions  will inevitably be of the 'Holiday Snap' variety, but nonetheless can be an interesting record of the location.

I know you are a skilled photographer. Submitting your work here will hopefully inspire others to improve their game.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:1st June 2023 17:03