Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quality is important.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:20 on 30th April 2014

Manual focussing is far too slow to focus on a flying bird. If your camera supports predictive AF, then this is the best mode for moving objects. 

Autofocus is generally faster with a DSLR than on a bridge or compact camera, and will be even better with a wide aperture telephoto lens. Unfortunately such fancy lenses are horrendously expensive. Often this combination of camera and lens is unwieldy and serious bird photographers tend to use a tripod, or at the very least a monopod to steady the camera. 

It is worth trying with whatever camera you have, but the odds are improved with the big lenses. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:25 on 30th April 2014
  I did have in mind also that any help would apply to low flying aircraft as well. For today I did catch a starling in flight with undercarrige retracted and the wings outstretched- but too soft a focus!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:28 on 1st May 2014
On 30th April 2014 23:14, John Lawrence wrote:

Hi Paul

I would be interested is on the net?

No John, its Outdoor Photography magazine as in W H Smiths etc. Its worth the cost of the magazine to get the free book with it in the wrapper--Understanding RAW Photography by Andy Rouse.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:1st May 2014 03:30
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:36 on 1st May 2014

Vince---it was a job getting this little chap flitting about, but got him in the end.  Have a look at Roy Jackson's bird photos; some of the best on the site here I think.

Abbey House Gardens

Picture by Paul Hilton

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:01 on 1st May 2014

A longer focal lenght does seem to help the camera's focusing system, here using a 200mm lens with a 1.4TC.

Newbury, Berkshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:20 on 1st May 2014

Once again, a longer focal lenght  (here an effective 260mm on the Nikon D70) has helped the auto focus not to focus on the pier in the background.

Hythe, Hampshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:32 on 1st May 2014
I am sure you are right, Paul. The longer focal length lenses give greater differentiation between the bird and the background, so provided that the bird is on one of the auto-focus points, the auto-focus should work better. 
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:54 on 1st May 2014
  Thanks everyone , I agree about Roy's bird photographs as I have seen many superb captures of his . My last attempt was using a 550D with a 55-250mm lens that is only kit lens standard, the focus does seem to take a while searching not helped by poor panning. I do think a lot of the answer id down to a lot more practice, I did notice that the examples Paul has put up except for the sparrow flying accross the pic have the birds basically flying towards the camera-perhaps this is a way to keep the bird in shot and the focus more time to lock on. Thanks chaps.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:57 on 1st May 2014
If you get some decent shots John, you put them on show mate. Only the odd one or two don't like them. Personally I think they are a very beautiful and photogenic animal
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 01:11 on 2nd May 2014

Foxes viewed through the lavatory window!  Did this affect your work flow John? 

I think we would like to see a sample!

To be serious though, if you capture the cub or adult foxes, choose the one you like best and I bet it will be well worth seeing by us on POE.  

Please login to post to this thread...