Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

River Irwell, Salford

Salford

in the county of Greater Manchester

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cap on submissions

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:14 on 10th March 2014
  John sir, we have all - well I have I am sure put up pics with hindsight would have best lay hidden on the hard drive. Quality and that includes composition, technical and of course relevance have often been something to be desired in early pics that I have posted and also that Ron has rejected. Over time like yourself POE has imparted a better knowledge and awarenes of what we are taking and posting and how our photography has evolved. It is the recognising what is good and what is apt and applying our new found knowledge in what we upload and in what quantity. I would rather see shots such as yours rather than the mass of quantity rather than quality that we have seen uploaded sometimes.  I know for myself that some of the quality members that upload I can only dream of being half as good so do not put yourself down at all, we are all on a learning curve and upwards is the only way.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:46 on 10th March 2014
  Ramble over but guess what- we are all wiser now and that is POE, we do learn as we go on.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:50 on 10th March 2014
Spot on Vince. There are some stunning photos put up by a few mixed in with some absolute rubbish from others. I think that when POE returns to full power some much stricter guidelines need to be enforced. Although I have been in this game for 40 years, I can see differences and improvements in my own submissions over the last 3 years both image quality and improved narration. (digital is so much easier for sharing than film and paper ever could be)And it has to be said that has come with the help of all the complimentary comments that have been forthcoming. I am sure you feel the same, and as to you John, you have often said yourself that you have improved during you time on POE. So when we get back up and running properly keep on uploading John. Photographs is what the site is all about . Photographs are what helps generate funds for POE in ways that you and I will never appreciate. Don't put yourself down John, keep on uploading mate
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:03 on 10th March 2014
On 10th March 2014 22:42, John Lawrence wrote:
  What I do think though is that all of us when making comments avoid those pictures that "dont float our boat"  would it not be helpful for a few less stars and a constructive comment on how the pic can be improved ?

I have Rambled a bit so Ramble OverSmile

You hit the nail on the head again John. I have thought many times why we all give 5 stars to just about every picture we comment on, other than not wanting to 'upset our friends' So yes I am all in favour of a new regime and as you say a little constructive, helpful and POLITE criticism occasionally can do no one any harm.  BUT we must be sure that we do not turn this great site into a 'critique' site. I have been on afew of those and they just turn me cold. So lets all have a think in this 'downtime' and start a fresh with more self regulated rating of images.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:05 on 10th March 2014
  Hear Hear !!
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:41 on 11th March 2014

John, my earlier remarks were certainly not aimed at you. Putting my point over as best I can is, that before submitting a picture, the taker should ask himself / herself is that image going to interest others, and if the answer is no, then the obvious choice is to not send it. Equipment does not have to be top of the range, as modern cameras are all able to provide sharp images when held steadily and a tad of thought given to exposure times. I am not saying that POE should be a showcase of excellence. 

The awarding of stars is a fine idea, but if we only ever give five then it becomes the norm and maybe loses it's meaning to a degree.

I went out yesterday to take some pictures of HMS Dragon, berthed in Liverpool. Of the twenty pictures taken of the ship, plus others of the docks, I would probably choose only one for POE. A couple were abstract type images which I like, but would not suit POE in all honesty as they could have been taken just about anywhere, and were a take on things that appealed to me.  

Everyone has their own idea as to what is, or is not a good strong image, as it is all subjective. I often go to photographic exhibitions, being lucky to live in a city with a few art galleries, and one gallery devoted to photography and I don't like some of the stuff I see, but the fact it has been chosen to hang on a wall indicates how diverse our tastes are, which is how it should be.

At the end of the day we should be our own strictest critic and select what we genuinely think is okay, not just expect POE to accept everything taken, maybe in a huge batch as has been the case, sometimes I feel to the detriment of the overall impression to a first time viewer of the site. 

I did get a one star rating for one of my pictures and at the time I thought the person giving it was crackers, but maybe he was right.  

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:39 on 11th March 2014
Very good point there John, I think a picture always tells a better story if it's backed up with a narrative. I've looked at many a picture on POE that may not be of brilliant quality but have content of interest. Sadly the person posting has failed to explain anything about the picture, leaving me feeling that if they can't be bothered to take a couple of minutes to explain, why should I bother to comment.
Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:51 on 11th March 2014

But it can also be a double edgeded sword too Ruth. If you upload an image that say isn't over exciting in itself ... but has a very interesting story to it, a lot of people probably wont bother to even look at the image & will miss the narrative. In my oppinion the image must come first .. but any info is a bonus of course. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:59 on 11th March 2014

You have a good point there Martin, the image is the first thing to catch the eye and yes, I do always look at that before the narrative, but I do find an image with no narrative at all a bit lacking in something, even if its only a line.

I think we can assume we don't live in a perfect world Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:59 on 11th March 2014
Good sensible discussion again that is all about the members, their thoughts, their feelings, their pictures. Well done you guys n gals!