Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Athelhampton House, Dorset

Athelhampton

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cap on submissions

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Patrick Hogan
Patrick Hogan
quotePosted at 08:52 on 5th March 2014
All places should still have atleast 5 images even if they do not contain comments.................
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:42 on 6th March 2014
I really do not know what makes anybody submit a large batch of images at a time. Surely, most responsible photographers have an instinctive Quality Control valve in their brains. Well, here it would seem not. I accept that POE has had a policy to accept all pictures and in reality, some have been little short of dreadful and I wonder just how much thought has gone on before submitting a picture which is out of focus, without any description, and clearly of no interest to someone looking to find a picture of England (plus the rest if the United Kingdom) which gives an impression of what our wonderful country really looks like, maybe "warts and all". If someone new to the site is confronted by really poor pictures in huge batches the attention and concentration of the viewer will just turn off. As for me, I can't ever recall submitting more than two images in a day. My own pride would not allow me to want anybody seeing what I feel is a poor picture. Am I wrong? I am more than happy to be told I am if my views are too extreme., I truly care about POE and do not want it to sink through the selfish attitude of those who can't be more selective or put their proverbial hands in their pockets. Don't abuse it, or lose it! Rant over. 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:11 on 6th March 2014

Rant well put over Rod. And as you know only too well it has been the subject of several previous threads. Quailty. Fully agree with all you say. Lets just hope that POE survives this crisis and then look to the future. We all have ideas regarding quality and I'm sure Chris and Sarah will be open to suggestions as always

But as said before we need to be getting through to those who do NOT use the forums.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 07:57 on 6th March 2014

It will not be easy to open the forums up more. Let's hope POE can lead the horse to the water and make it drink. It has so much to offer to so many who want to explore the UK either just on line or get some inspiration to travel here. 

Cheers, Dave.  

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:26 on 8th March 2014

I concur with all your words of wisdom, Rod.

I feel like you, that the present difficulties have been brought on by the avalanche of uploads, with the emphasis on quantity rather than quality. Personally, I would be happy with an upload limit of one or two images per day.

Out of curiosity, I calculated my personal statistics on my rate of image submission. I have been a member of PoE for 9 years and have submitted about 450 images in total. This equates to approximately 1 image per week on average, which is enough for me !

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 08:42 on 8th March 2014

Thanks Edward, your comments about restraint are very much in line with my thinking. I have submitted 165 images that are still there. Did delete a few feeling they did POE no favours or me for that matter. I would rather send one decent shot than thirty poor ones with my name attached. 

Now, I hope we shall soon be able to resume sending pictures. 

A cap is a fine idea and must be a most positive way forward. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:16 on 8th March 2014

I think a cap of 5 - 10  images per day is a good figure for Premier Members, with Non-Premier less, maybe a cap of 1 or 2 per day.

Even though this may seem drastic, it will still permit uploads of hundreds or even thousands images per year for the really determined uploaders.

My own experience is that the percentage of my output which I regard as good is quite low, in the tens per year, so I would not get anywhere near that limit.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:8th March 2014 10:04
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:36 on 8th March 2014
Good thinking Edward. A cap might also reduce the number of near duplicate images some seem hell bent on sharing.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:39 on 10th March 2014
John, I think Rod means 10 images in one go of the same thing i.e. one particular church just taken from a slightly different angle. I don't think he includes a couple of shots of the same harbour taken from different places, or a couple of different flowers Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:10 on 10th March 2014

Ruth is right John, I am sure the finger is not pointed at you in any way whatsoever, if anyone 'regular' I tend to put up 'close matches' when uploading my various Lake District walks. But i try not to put them all up in one go and then hopefully only 2 or 3. However there are some who put up many similar shots of the same subject of which sadly a high proportion are poor quality shots.

Also whilst on the subject of uploading I feel 5 or 6 is more than ample even for PREMIER members. But having said that I would be quite happy to see a blanket maximum covering both PREMIER and free members around that figure. 

As to the forums John, I too wish more people would participate rather than just look in, even if only to make a donation,