Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Four-spotted chaser

Aldeburgh

a Seaside Town in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cap on submissions

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:59 on 27th February 2014

I though it had been set at 5 John, but may be wrong.

But I also seem to remember that most of who partake of the forums suggested a cap on Premier submissions too. haven't put any up for a while been too busy buty always try to keep somewhere around the 5 mark. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:19 on 27th February 2014
That is something that Chris and Sarah may need to have a look at then. Maybe the parameters are set to '5 per submission' whereas it mybe should be '5 per day'
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:01 on 28th February 2014

Thanks again to all who commented above, I will bring it to the attention of Chris and Sarah to see what they intend.

Your input is appreciated.

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 11:53 on 28th February 2014

Thanks for your concerns and pointing this out John.

Non Premier members are currently capped at 5 images a day. That is the total number of images they can upload on any given day.

I think in this case what has happened is several days worth of images have all been approved on the same day, so they appear to have been uploaded all at once too, when in fact they were actually uploaded over a number of days previous.
This can happen occasionally when we are playing catch-up with image approvals but it certainly shouldn't be the norm. We'll keep an eye on things over the next few days but please do let us know if you see it happen again, as we don't always spot these things with so much to do on the site.

There is no cap currently on Premier member submissions, though we may be forced to introduce one soon unfortunately, as only yesterday we were in discussions with our web host regarding another necessary upgrade as the current allotted space is almost full again. We may have to make some major changes soon as an upgrade is something we currently cannot afford. We may even have to stop all new submissions for a short time.

Although we do most of the work ourselves, the image selling system required a lot of work outside of our skillset and we were forced to bring in a contractor. They did a great job for us but it was very costly, and it is still going to be a long road before we, or our members see any real type of significant return from it, with an awful lot of work still to do. There have been 13 images sold in total, and donations have stopped all together. As Ron has pointed out before, deleting images isn't the straight forward fix either, as the traffic they bring in with related searches is currently the main revenue stream that keeps the site just about ticking over.
It's very much a catch 22 at the moment, but we are determined to turn things around, with the early stages of the image selling system the first step towards this. We hate asking, as many of you already contribute a great deal towards keeping this site going and in many ways, but if anyone can afford to make even a small contribution to help shift the balance it would be greatly appreciated at this time.

Sorry to have turned your helpful post into a general appeal for donations John, it wasn’t intended but our situation has become quite urgent. We will keep an eye on submissions though and appreciate you pointing it out. A mailshot will be sent out if we do have to stop new submissions, but we desperately hope this won’t be the case.

Chris & Sarah

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:40 on 28th February 2014

Chris says>>>There have been 13 images sold in total, and donations have stopped all together.

Okay so the situation is serious! So will members follow me in donating £20 right now, over and above the Gold Star status renewal fee to help out? I know its a big ask, but without some additional help it seems there is trouble ahead.

I will start another thread titled 'I've donated' where members who want to help can add there names to a list so that we can all see who really does care about POE. Some may not be able to afford £20 so please do make a donation of some sort and get your name on the list.

With all the members that POE has, this should be a walk in the park, but I wonder? 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:45 on 28th February 2014
Good idea Ron, I'm happy to help out where I can.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:57 on 28th February 2014
I'm not surprised it's serious, I've just looked through the first 10 pages of pictures, so 100 pictures in all and out of that 100 only 24 have been submitted by a small handful of premier members Frown
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:38 on 28th February 2014
On 28th February 2014 11:53, poe wrote:

Thanks for your concerns and pointing this out John.

Non Premier members are currently capped at 5 images a day. That is the total number of images they can upload on any given day.

There is no cap currently on Premier member submissions, though we may be forced to introduce one soon unfortunately, as only yesterday we were in discussions with our web host regarding another necessary upgrade as the current allotted space is almost full again. We may have to make some major changes soon as an upgrade is something we currently cannot afford. We may even have to stop all new submissions for a short time.

Chris & Sarah

Chris, Sarah, I don't think you will get any complaints from the regular Premier uploaders whatever actions you feel are necessary, short or long term. In fact we will probably all endorse the wholeheartedley. A Premier limit of 10 has been suggested in previous threads but personally I would quite happy with a limit of 5 or6. And I doubt if any of the regular Premier uploaders would object either.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:47 on 28th February 2014
  Hear Hear. I will endorse what Dave has just said.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:29 on 1st March 2014
Add me to the list of members agreeing with Dave Smile
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >