Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

New Forest

Lyndhurst

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Photo Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 09:31 on 6th June 2011
The source of photo views on Flickr can be checked. The name of the web site is given, I then click on it and find my photos.  It seems that hundreds of web sites just take photos without asking.  In fact very few do ask, the whole thing is out of control.  I have been asked by a few but that is rare.  Recently a business asked if they could use a photo, but no offer of payment !
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 09:53 on 6th June 2011

I guess this would be a very difficult one to organise but I wonder if there is someway to "stick the pics to the page" on POE?  So they can't be "lifted off" and used without permission.

I suppose it is just another form of 'Piracy' which is so prevalent on the internet.  They are just there for the taking!

If there are laws governing copyright and the illegal copying of music/films etc would it also not cover your right to your photos?

quote | editPosted at 10:13 on 6th June 2011
As far as I know most countries use the same rule as the UK.  The photographer owns the copyright.  That does not stop thieves of course !  Some say you should never put anything on the net if its very important to you  and all risk must be avoided.  A lot of the time I would not mind if only they asked first, not an unreasonable idea is it ?
lucsa
lucsa
quotePosted at 10:35 on 6th June 2011

On my site, i have use a few pictures from someone else.

I asking always a permission and put a link by the pictures to the site of the owner. 

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 12:15 on 6th June 2011
On 6th June 2011 09:53, cathyml wrote:

If there are laws governing copyright and the illegal copying of music/films etc would it also not cover your right to your photos?

One of the relevant UK laws is The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 should anyone wish to wade through it; plus there's Intellectual Property laws. 

I don't usually have  problems with individuals taking my photos without persmission; in my experience, the worst offenders are company/business websites. Just found an Australian travel site using 2 of my photos.  On my recent visit to Sydenham, Oxforshire there's photos of it on Poe you may have seen.Some were taken for web usage on fan sites.

Also, two Midsomer Murders/Neil Dudgeon websites have other photos taken at the same time, and very happy to receive them and both do things as I requested---which I know both would have done in anycase; indeed, they asked what would I like shown on their site? One example of it is here from my days outing to Sydenham.

http://www.midsomermurders.org/ontheset70.htm

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th June 2011 12:17
Peter Turtill
Peter Turtill
quotePosted at 21:42 on 6th June 2011

All my pics are available on Picasa but I am not a photographer and I just take pics for reference such as these below taken in Ipswich;

https://picasaweb.google.com/peterturtill/Bridleway02?feat=directlink

pete

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:55 on 7th June 2011
On 6th June 2011 10:35, lucsa wrote:

On my site, i have use a few pictures from someone else.

I asking always a permission and put a link by the pictures to the site of the owner. 

Lucsa! So good to see you here.  Loving your new pictures.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:39 on 8th June 2011
On 3rd June 2011 18:58, Paul Hilton wrote:

One of my most popular images on Google Earth (also shown here on Poe) was of Highclere Clastle taken, yet again, with my 2004 Nikon D70. What I can't understand finding it used on a professional film and photography organisation website who apparently went there with their professional cameras ( Canon) but couldn't use a photo taken by themselves?  

Update---had a call back from the London studio this AM who were very apologetic and surprised I found them using my image. They would still like to use it as they did like it and now I will be credited on their site
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:03 on 8th June 2011
That is really good news Paul and I am glad they are prepared to do the decent thing.
 Please login to post to this thread...