Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Queens Head public house, Eye

Eye

in the county of Suffolk

A Wide angle view of the River Stour at Mistley, Essex, where there are usually hundreds of Swans.

Mistley

in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Photo Comments

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:33 on 3rd June 2011

How lovely it is to see more members are leaving comments on the photos.  I have felt for a while that some really stunning pics haven't really had the recognition they deserved because so few members were commenting on them.

I know very little about whether a shutter was open too much or too little or a different filter could have been used or lots of photographic jargon.  But I do know when I see a photo I like, sometimes I know why I like it and sometimes I have no idea why it appeals to me!  

I am so appreciative of the many POE photographers who are willing to share their view of England with me that I feel I should let them know when I like what they are doing.

A very simple "I like this pic" and a choice of star ratings I think encourages our photographers and lets them know we are looking at them and appreciating their efforts.

Why do you think that at the moment this is the best pic on POE?

Misty morning in Abraham's valley, Cannock Chase, Staffordshire
Picture by John Godley

The Answer is:  because more members added comments to this pic than any other (excluding duplicate comments/comments by photographer etc. 

Your comments can and do make a difference in a number of ways!Smile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 17:03 on 3rd June 2011

Attracted by the atmospheric light and colours no doubt, and the composition. Notice how it is not a close up with fine detail, so the nit picking fanatic photographic "expert ?" cannot comment on the fine detail / resolution and say Camera A is not as good as Camera B.  

Cathy is correct, if it looks good and attracts your eye then that is what makes a good photo.  I keep finding really good photos in POE, then a look at the details tells me it was taken on a truly "budget price" camera.  Seems that any one who takes an interesting photo will be welcome  on this site, and they can gain comments no matter what the camera is.  On some sites you have to buy a top camera and go through the sheep dip before being accepted ! 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:56 on 3rd June 2011

Exactly the same as I have said before Mick, the old adage stands good on this one ' it's not what you've got, it's how you use it ' Take pixel count out of the frame the main difference between, for aguments sake, Canon EOS1D and Canon EOS 500D comes down to reliablility, obviously you get a few more 'whistles and bows' the majority of which the average enthusiast will not use. EOS1D is built for professional use....500D more for the enthusiast.

This site is exactly what you say Mick, anyone is welcome with no stuffy, pompous comments like ' i would prefer to see the horses head a couple of inches to the left' and similar ridiculous stuff. Some camera clubs and can be just the same. A freind and I once went to look at a joining a local 'society' once. I had a couple of Canon F1s then and my mate had a relatively inexpensiove Pentax. He was practically ignored most of the night and I seemed to be accepted. Needless to say we didn't darklen their doors again. They didn't seem interested in taking pictures, just standing round with their cases and bags open on display. Can't be doing with that.

Cathy, like the idea of top ten etc showing the members choice which will be good for all us to see some images we maybe haven't seen before and give us the incentive to go out and get snapping

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:33 on 3rd June 2011

That is an excellent image of Cannock Chase John has taken as well as others from this location. It's so popular, I've also seen it all ver the internet as well; mostly on people's personal websites. Google ranks it 2nd on an image search for Cannock Chase.

If any of my photos gets an undue amount of comments, which is very nice of people to do so, then I go looking for it elsewhere on the web. My most "borrowed" photo is of Gold Hill, Shaftesbury, and of all the thousands of images Google has of this street, it's ranked mine as 5th easy pickings for those who like to "borrow" others photos. Taken with my humble Nikon D70 in 2005

Thanks for your comments though; I do use them as a guide for what people like to see on here. Two of my photos on the site were taken with a Rollieflex 4x4 and a DeJur D-3, 35mm rangefinder camera as 2 of the more unusual ones. Many other makes/models are amongst them, but it hasn't escaped my notice that ones from the D70 have gotten a surprising amount of comments I didn't expect. Maybe I should use it more often Smile

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th June 2011 21:12
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 18:58 on 3rd June 2011

One of my most popular images on Google Earth (also shown here on Poe) was of Highclere Clastle taken, yet again, with my 2004 Nikon D70. What I can't understand finding it used on a professional film and photography organisation website who apparently went there with their professional cameras ( Canon) but couldn't use a photo taken by themselves?  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:8th June 2011 13:39
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:30 on 3rd June 2011

Paul does that mean someone has stolen your picture, showcased it and got the acclaim for it?  I presume they photoshopped the people around the entrance off the pic but they missed removing the man near the bottom left of the castle.  That is despicable and I suppose you have no recourse.

In a way I suppose it is extrordinarily flattering that the picture was considered to be so good, but I think I would be furious.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:37 on 3rd June 2011
I did start a POE 10 Ten thread as well, but in view of what you have said above Paul I have deleted the thread - I don't think our photographers deserve to have their pictures stolen and I would not like to make it easy by putting the very best out there for them all in one place!  If anyone is interested I could just give the pic ID's and you could see them for yourself.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:01 on 3rd June 2011

I don't want to spoil any of your threads Cathy; but just to mention if a photo is unusually popular, here on Poe or elsewhere, it might be more popular than you think.  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:6th June 2011 21:16
Brenda Harvey
Brenda Harvey
quotePosted at 02:10 on 6th June 2011
Paul, That's really a shame that they use your photos and give no credit. I've actually seen your photo of Gold Hill on the Internet, but can't remember where. I did recognize it immediately, though, as I thought it was a fascinating photo. Till now I had no idea who the photographer was.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 08:34 on 6th June 2011
In the cold light of daty it boils down to theft. The minimum anyone should do is give written accreditation, preferably having made contact first. Then if they are intending to use it for advertising or similar they should offer payment of some kind, even if only a token amount. I think the majority of people would be only too happy to see their images published (it certainly is a good feeling) and don't even think a byline or credit. Many years ago I used to take photos at car Rallies and submit to various magazines one of which i was responble for starting the crediting of the photographer and paying for use of the image. It is only right. Just popped Cannock Chase into Google as suggested by Phil and it came up the first image  ! !