Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Golden Cap, Dorset

Charmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Lyme Regis

Lyme Regis

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

When is a photograph not a photograph?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 23:14 on 6th April 2011

I've rooted through the old posts and found one or two comments regarding the inclusion of photographs of fine art and postcards and wonder whether members feel that they really fall into the category of photographs. I can see that they are "Pictures of England" and I supose that is why they are allowed on POE  and  I am not wishing to take issue with this decision, however my question is are they photographs in the usual sense of the word?

I think  some members, and I include myself here, who contribute photographs  to POE see this side of POE as almost a photographic club where we  can submit original photographs of areas of the UK which are entirely our own work and having  the added benefit of occasionally receiving feelback via the comments area.

Personally I put quite a bit of effort into my submissions, they are my own interpretation of what I have seen therefore original work and worthy of being called an original photograph whether they are deemed technically good bad or indifferent 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 07:56 on 7th April 2011

Another great question from Sally that makes one think!

As the site is called "Pictures of England" and headings such as "Add your pictures","Latest pictures", "Picture Tours", "Submit Pictures" and "My Pictures" etc., it seems to me that the focus of the site is literally for Pictures taken of England and logically they would have to take the form of photographs in order to upload them to the site.

We often refer to "pictures, pics and images" but rarely use the word "photograph" on the site.

So is it really about adding pictures (depictions) of England or the actual photograph we use to depict what is seen?  

I need to think about this some more during the day, lol

Mick Carver
Mick Carver
quotePosted at 12:34 on 8th April 2011

Yes I agree, being called ‘Pictures of England’ it does make me think of what is suitable for the site. I have a shot on the site of a heron in Buxton so anyone wanting to get an idea of what Buxton is like would not get it from this  photo.

Like Sally I almost consider the site to be like a photography club so its hard not to send in what you consider to be a good shot.

Regards Mick

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:59 on 8th April 2011

I have no problem at all with pictures of wildlife, flora, seascapes and that type of pic at all Mick. If they are taken in England then they belong on an English site.  Furthermore they advise viewers of the diversity of what you will find in Enlgand.

I got the impression that Sally was more concerned about the inclusion of photographs of postcards and paintings etc., and if these could be called (original) photographs.

Mick Carver
Mick Carver
quotePosted at 15:26 on 8th April 2011

Ah yes I see what she is getting at, personally I would only submit pictures that were produced by me, by that I mean mainly photographs although some maybe tweaked in adobe or whatever, but I also do a bit of drawing and painting and if ever I had a an image that I though was good enough I would like to add that to the site

Mick

Please login to post to this thread...