Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Croyde Beach, Devon

Croyde

a Picturesque Village in the county of Devon

Restored six sailed working windmill at Heage, Derbyshire

Heage

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

To All POE Photographers

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:38 on 28th May 2011

Groom standing on the right is correct. As history has it...so he could defend her with his sword, hung at his left hip

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:42 on 28th May 2011
When the wedding starts, the groom's side in church is on the right, and the bride's family friend's are on the left.  After they are married, they change places, so the groom walks down her side of the family, symbolically showing he's now part of her family, and ditto for the bride now joining his.  If they just turn around on the spot at the altar, etc, this aspect of the marriage and joining another family has just been lost.

quote | editPosted at 23:06 on 28th May 2011

Dave, that made me laugh, only my Mother calls me Michael !  I will drop the formal tone then.

The Agfa film was Scala, but no I never used it 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:46 on 28th May 2011

Well, you should have known better then, shouldn't you???

Only been a member of POE since end of Feb but it's a fantastc site. Very pleased to see you as a Premier Member. As you indicated in another post, no airs and graces, just photography for pleasure, which is what POE is so good at. I started off with 1 Praktika L as a birthday present and ended up many years later with 2 Canon F1's with drives, the works. Canon 500d now and don't feel any different, just enjoy taking piccies regardless. My POE profile just about covers it. Just as happy using the wifes Vivitar point and shoot. Cor, remember their lenses?? 70-210 zoom!!! probably the best 'non marque' lens of the era. I used the Agfa film mainly for copying text images for a friend of my dad's who did lectures on church architecture . He would ask for some ridiculously minute clips, sometimes only 1/2 inch square ! ! ! out of old books but the final quality was stunning. Tripod, extension tubes...happy days!!! Like your idea of passing the POE name around. I've put a few ideas forward and can only hope they are able keep the site going. It's just too good to go to the wall. I have never been a big enthusiast of forums either, as you said earlier too technical and stuffy.....nothing like these guys, trying to keep track of 3 or 4 threads at a time......no good  for someone who like s his whisky ! ! ! Look forward to more reminiscing, it does you good!!! 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 06:25 on 29th May 2011
It's great to see you guys feeling right at home in the POE family, not Michael & David - just our pals Mick & Dave - welcome home guys! Laughing
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 10:16 on 9th June 2011

The more I use POE the more I wish I had joined aeons ago!

The complete lack of competition over camera size, age and content is so refreshing. I really must try and plan a meet somewhere as it would be fantastic to chat about everything. And then see the results of different viewpoints on the same subject!

Well, I'm here now so onward and upward!!

Andrew

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:36 on 9th June 2011

Really appreciate your comments Andrew which shows just what a great bunch of people we have here, but the most urgent factor right now is to keep POE alive.

A meet of POE photographers would be fantastic of course, maybe with a 'I'm a POE photographer' sticker on the vehicle!

So to all of those who still use and enjoy the POE website and forum but haven't got their STAR yet, what are you waiting for?

Please donate now, or you'll have nowhere to go!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:51 on 9th June 2011
Totally agree with you Andrew. Found the site december joined February and got my star middle of  May. As I have said before no pompous stuffy comments . No one cares if you have a top drawer pro camera or an inexpensive point and shoot. Just photos for the sake of what they are.....and some enjoyable forums into the bargain along with some wonderful aimless banter thrown in, just corrected some spelling etc, my usual problem.....wouldn't think my dad was teacher of English!!!

Edited by: Dave John at:9th June 2011 11:21

quote | editPosted at 12:50 on 9th June 2011

Ron, I will help the site.

but

"I'm a POE photographer"  on the car ?

sorry guvnor,  clean out of window space !!!!!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 12:55 on 9th June 2011

You keep helping the site by doing what you're good at MIck. Photographing lovely cottages and 'Green Box Busting'......keep up the good work. I got to get back to work now, will join in again later